Maryland
Hi all,
Trying to SLAM, started yesterday afternoon. Pre-slam test results:

TA: 150
CH: 325
PH: 7.4
FC: 0
CYA: 60

I started with 3.5 gallons 10% chlorine. FC want up to 18 but was almost immediately down to 9 with high CC. Added 2 more gallons. Can't even get FC to shock level. So far I've put in 16 gallons of chlorine in 24 hours and TF100 FASDPD is still not showing munch above 9 FC. I am running low on chlorine, so in order to try to keep it up, I tried my SWG. Bad bubbles that formed a fog on top of pool water. Shut that off quick. Tried leftover dichlor, it did the same thing, dissolved immediately and made thousands of micro bubbles, made a list or fog on top of water.

Any ideas? I can't even get FC to shock level. Water is clear but kind of hazy.

Welcome to the forum!

Are you confident of the CYA number? Is that carryover from last year?

The reactions you are getting are reminiscent of ammonia. But normally the CYA is zero.

To check and defeat ammonia, if necessary, is to raise your FC in the water using enough liquid chlorine to get to 10 ppm using PoolMath. Circulate the pool for 15 minutes. Test FC. If at 5 or below, add LC to get to 10 using LC, circulate for 15 minutes, repeat until your FC is above 5 ppm after the 15 minute circulation is above 5 ppm.

Welcome to the forum!

Are you confident of the CYA number? Is that carryover from last year?

The reactions you are getting are reminiscent of ammonia. But normally the CYA is zero.

To check and defeat ammonia, if necessary, is to raise your FC in the water using enough liquid chlorine to get to 10 ppm using PoolMath. Circulate the pool for 15 minutes. Test FC. If at 5 or below, add LC to get to 10 using LC, circulate for 15 minutes, repeat until your FC is above 5 ppm after the 15 minute circulation is above 5 ppm.
CYA was at 0 when opening. I will follow raising to 10, testing, raising to 10. Running out of reagents for chlorine :(

You definitely don't need to add dichlor or any shock as your CYA is already too high Iif accurate) and those products will only make it higher. The elevated CC could be multiple factors like organic or chemical residue from closing (i.e. antifreeze). The ultimate remedy is more chlorine and consistent use of it to break through that wall.

You definitely don't need to add dichlor or any shock as your CYA is already too high Iif accurate) and those products will only make it higher. The elevated CC could be multiple factors like organic or chemical residue from closing (i.e. antifreeze). The ultimate remedy is more chlorine and consistent use of it to break through that wall.
SWG, so CYA is low

So you tested the CYA of 60 or is that how much you added?

The CYA is food for the bacteria that creates the ammonia. So if you added CYA, and had the bacteria to begin with, you fed it. And now it will take a lot of chlorine to break it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Oh yes.

I would suspect you will need somewhere between 10 and 15 gallons of 10% to break the ammonia, if you find that is what your issue is.

Reactions: ssgtob1

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.