Trying to prepare for pool in Round Rock, TX

A1Texan

Silver Supporter
Jul 11, 2018
Austin, Texas
Hello, I’m trying to be proactive and in the mix of preparing my yard for my upcoming pool build (not yet selected). I have the electricians burying the overhead wires to the house around the property line. While the trench is open I’m having them run conduit out to the shed in the back. Since I don’t know what type of equipment I’m getting, I’m not sure what amps I need out there. I won’t have a spa or heat pump. Still debating on SWG or Chlorine base with a sand filter. I will need extra to run landscaping lights. My electrician suggested we run wire for a 50 amp breaker. My question – Will this 50 amp breaker be enough? (pool will be about 10k-12k gallons; no spa; LED lighting)

I'm meeting with another PB this weekend. Hopefully I can narrow down!

My .02

Run the 50amp and have the electrician put in a little sub panel out there so you can add a pump circuit and a light circuit from there.

20amp is ok for just the pump, that’s my setup, but then we tried to add some outdoor outlets to the pool deck, something shorted out in that wiring and kept tripping the breaker for the pump. Not good. So I’d put the pump on its own 20 amp and then you have the option of adding a couple more circuits for your pool deck or booster pump or whatever.

Check the price for running more, 60 or 100 amp. Much better to have more than you need versus being a bit short. You already have the hole and the sub panels dont cost much more. IF you main has enough extra.

Good to get ahead of the game Lonnie. Highly recommend SWG but its certainly a personal choice. 3.5’ can be very shallow for this Texas heat so give that the consideration it deserves. When you meet with PB run the electrical by him (just make sure he knows you have it covered with your electrician. This way he should know the equipment he will be recommending and what it requires.

Since you are out front I would suggest ordering a good test kit and speed stir along with looking at a couple of links for some light but very imprortant reading...

Test Kits Compared

ABC’s of Pool Water Chemistry

Salt Water Chlorine Generators (SWG)

Thanks. I'm having to up the amps coming to the house with the buried cables so I like your suggestion to run 60 out to the pool equipment. I'll look into going to 4' - 6' on the depth. I know these Texas heat patterns :)
I'll order my test kit in the next month or so. I have been reading through the ABS's and Pool School for several weeks now which is why i'm considering SWG now. Thanks again!

Awesome...you can also use the search feature here on TFP which will get you lots of info on SWG!

Also in Austin and in the prelim process. We’ve been chatting w/ PEC (electric provider) about upgrading, thinking we’d get a jump start on things we could do ourselves (remove a tree, remove old deck, upgrade service...), but having trouble with getting it going. They don’t seem to understand what I want to do.

Lonnie, would you be willing to pm which PB you’ve been in contact with, and the quotes you’ve received? We are wanting nearly the same size as is in your signature- rectangle, minimal style, no decking - only 12” lueder stone or concrete, small shelf/step w/ 2 bubblers ...

I’ve chatted with two, liked what one came back with. We talked money and he said they could work with our budget and called our small/basic project a “filler pool”. How many PB do y’all suggest talking with?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.