Trying to help a friend…going from bad to worse?

KatyO

Jun 4, 2013
Hey all! I’ve been reading through various other threads and I have a theory but want some input before moving on.

My friends have an inground, vinyl lined pool. They don’t know exact volume but the estimate is 40,000 gallons. (It’s a little bigger than mine which is 35,500). Anyway they’ve been “managing” their own chemicals for the pas couple of years using the Clorox dichlor shock packs. They have a test kit but it only tests pH and chlorine.

The other day they asked me to help, bc it was not looking right. I tested yesterday (using my TF test kits stuff) and these are the results:
FC 1.5
TA 0 (turned pink with R-08)
pH bright yellow (what I read online said that if the TA is zero then pH is likely no higher than 4.8)
CYA 100

I used the pool math calculator and told them what to put in the pool to bring it up to SLAM and raise the PH and TA.

This morning they texted and said the pool turned dark green and cloudy - it was relatively clear yesterday even though the chemicals were bonkers.

I just tested and these are the results
FC 45
pH HIGH (8.2)
TA 100
CYA 100

I read that if there is iron in the pool it willl oxidize and turn green. I know in the past they’ve had to add ascorbic acid to clear metal. Do they need to add that now? Or just wait and let the SLAM finish? It is not clear green. Pic attached.

Also, do they need to bring the pH DOWN or just wait until the pool is clear to allow time for it to settle?

I don’t want to tell them the wrong thing!
Thanks for helping if you’ve made it this far!

Attachments

• 37CE5595-7BD9-48A8-92F6-FC00ED7E5D22.jpeg
    37CE5595-7BD9-48A8-92F6-FC00ED7E5D22.jpeg
    554.3 KB · Views: 22
Few things…
1. the pH reading is unreliable with FC above 10ppm. So that 8.2 may not be 8.2.
2. When you got the 100ppm CYA, did you redo the test diluting the sample in tap water to check if it was really 100 CYA? Dilute the sample 50/50 with tap water and multiply the result by 2.
3. You can take a sample of the water to the pool store to check for metals. That can confirm it.

With a FC of 45 the PH test is invalid. If CYA is that high, they would need a drain/refill, so no need to waste on chemicals until that is done. Have you done the CYA diluted test? This would let you know how much to drain.
Ok so….they are not interested in draining/refill. Without doing that - what should the next step be? Keep at SLAM level (using 10% liquid chlorine) until pool is clear green and then sequester the copper? I know a drain/refill is best but I can’t make them do it.

Ok so….they are not interested in draining/refill. Without doing that - what should the next step be? Keep at SLAM level (using 10% liquid chlorine) until pool is clear green and then sequester the copper? I know a drain/refill is best but I can’t make them do it.
Try the diluted CYA test mentioned above and see what it is. Need that info to determine slam level

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.