Trying to get started with TFP method

Mintypool

May 28, 2019
NJ
I am new to the site. Was being led blindly by a pool store for last 2 years. This year I during opening and going back and forth as decided to try and maintain myself. I have been using the same maintenance routine they had me on prior years of adding 2 bags of shock, 2 oz of algicide, and 4 pucks to chlorinator weekly so far for like 2-3 weeks so far . Pool is clear but I have the same problem as I had last year that when filter runs without anyone in water I get small patches of powder in same folds of liner. It never spreads etc. Initially last year pool store had me treating it like mustard Algae but it never went away, never got worse etc. I have been reading on here and google could be dead matter which is not being filtered out in sand filter.
I didn’t add any additional stabilizer so far as I have read CYA from pucks and shock could be a problem and wanted to wait for an accurate test reading.
The Taylor K-2006 test kit arrived yeaterday and just tried doing the first test for chlorine this morning I added 2 scoops of R-0870 to 25 mL of water and it did not turn pink. I repeated the test again to make sure and same thing happened. I tried looking on Taylor website and here what to do next and while looking the same has turned very faint pink. I am assuming this means my free chlorine is low? Would appreciate help in how to proceed.

Congrats on deciding to take control! :goodjob:

If the test stayed clear, that means you have 0 FC. Run a full set of tests and post up the results. Especially interested in the CYA.

What specific products have you added thus far? Hoping nothing with copper in it.

With the sample not turning pink, your FC is very low.

We need to know about your equipment to really give much advise about the dirt. Fill out your signature with info similar to what most of us have, or include it in a post.

FC 0.4
CC 0.4
I did the test after letting the R-087 sit until it turned faded pink then it took two drops of R-0871 to turn it clear again.
PH 7.4
CH 370
TA 80
CYA just below 50 maybe 48?

I added 15 gallons of liquid chlorine from pool store on opening. I shocked with 3 1 lb bags initially then have been doing 2 lb per week. I put in an initial dose of Pool Season Concentrated Algae Kill II of 8 oz then have been doing 2 oz of pool season Algae control 60 per week. I add 4 3 inch chlorine pucks per week

You are in a perfect situation to convert to liquid chlorine and maintain the TFPC way.
Discontinue the algaecide, shock, and pucks. Start adding liquid chlorine every day to keep your FC in the target range as shown in FC/CYA Levels. Use PoolMath to determine volumes.

Don't let the chlorine test sit. Count drops until clear. That is your FC. Add the R003 and if it goes to pink, count drops to clear again. That is your CC. It will always turn back to pink if it sits.

Round your CYA up to 50ppm. That is also as high as you want it, so no more tablets or bags of powder chlorine.

so If I am looking at that CYa chart the target FC is 6-8 ppm. If I am at virtually 0 how do you use the pool math to figure out the bleach I should add? Also I added shock at night and ran filter for 24 hrs 1x/week, from what I am understanding you add liquid bleach daily so how long do you run filter and what time of day is best to add? Also how long do you wait to swim after adding bleach?

Use PoolMath to determine how much of the bleach you get to add.
When you add your daily dose of liquid chlorine/bleach, be sure to run the pump for at least a half hours afterwards to get it mixed in.
You an swim within 15 minutes of adding bleach. Add it at a return with the pump on.
You can use 6% bleach. At most Walmarts, in the pool section, they have Pool Essentials 10% liquid chlorine. That is typically better than the household bleach. Most household bleach now has additives (scents, splashless, cloromax, etc).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
FC 0.4
CC 0.4
I did the test after letting the R-087 sit until it turned faded pink then it took two drops of R-0871 to turn it clear again. So essentially 0 chlorine
PH 7.4
CH 370
TA 80
CYA just below 50

I am just making sure my pool math is correct. 22000 gallon pool and put a target FC of 6 it is telling me to add 274 oz of 6% bleach. I got Great Value brand from Walmart which are 121 oz so about 2 and 1/4 jug.

When you add the powder if it turnes pink then there is FC, if not it is 0. If you let it sit more than 10 seconds it will go back to pink but that is not the way to do it.

Originally when I added 2 scoops of R 087 no color change happened. When I let it sit for a few mins while I tried to figure out what to do with no color change it turned very faint pink. So I added R0871 2 drops and it went colorless. Because it never changed initially I thought that meant FC was close to 0?

Correct. Add that. Tomorrow, test and add again.
Thanks for your responses. They did not have the 10% liquid chlorine like you initially suggested so I got the 6 %.
When adding you do directly into pool in the deepend near the output and only need to run the pump for normal amount, not overnight right? And when you say test again tomorrow you mean for free chlorine?

Add the bleach at a pool return with pump running. Pour it in a pencil size stream. You may want to brush the area with volume you must add.

Run the pump at least 30 minutes after adding.

Tomorrow, test the FC and add bleach back to your target range FC. You do that every day.

Reactions: Mintypool
Once I test tommorow morning I should add whatever amount of bleach gets it to FC 6 PPM and then keep repeating this process right ? What is the overnight chlorine loss test and what is normal amount of FC to lose overnight?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.