Trying to figure this all out! OVERWHELMED!

frustratedpoolmom said:
austinsmom01 said:
Added 96 oz. of bleach to bring FC up to 21. Just scrubbed again and changed the filter. Will keep an eye on the FC level throughout the day to make sure it stays at shock level. Will test the water again tonight and first thing in the am. Number should be the same overnight if the algae is dead correct? I'm going on day 8 and the water is still cloudy but there is sight of the bottom. It hasn't gotten any clearer for the last 3 days or so as I thought it should given the many filter changes and brushings. Is there something I'm missing? Besides POP! :lol: This pool is about to wear me out! I've told hubby that if he makes one more crack about me and this pool, when the water clears, he's NOT allowed in! :rant:

You tell him! :grrrr:

Did you test for cc's? What was the result?

Sounds like a good plan of action, I don't think you're missing anything else. STaying on top of it all day if you can will help speed things along, because you will lose some FC from the sun.

Try and enjoy your day nonetheless!

Just tested after adding 96 oz of bleach and
FC-25.5
CC-.5
TC-26

Is .5 CC enough to bother with?

Well, technically you are bothering with it....LOL you are keeping your FC to shock anyway so that should take care of it. It just shows further evidence that something is going on... don't worry about it tho, keeping your pool at shock level another night should fix it. I was just curious.

You will be done shocking when you meet these three criteria:

1. Your water is sparkling
2. CC's test .5ppm or less
3. You pool will hold FC overnite not losing more than 1.0ppm

Then just let your FC drift down into maintenance range and keep it there.

Got up at 6:45 to test the water! I could have sworn I heard the neighbors rooster laughing at me!

Last night (11p.m) FC-23.5
CC-.5
TC-24

This morning (645a.m) FC 23
CC-0
TC-23

My water is still cloudy and it baffles me after so long. You can see the bottom but you have to concentrate to see the pattern.

I'm going to drink some patience and go back to bed!

Stick with it. I'm so glad you have a good test kit. After using it, you see why we were riding you to get one? It makes diagnosing water trouble much easier.

Anyway just for reference, I went away on vacation and my cousin came over and used my pool. She left the spa heater on and my pool was at 100f in the summer (idiot) Anyway I came home and my pool looked like someone poured 5000 gallons of milk in it. 30 jugs of bleach and a week later it was finally clear. I didn't even have a full algae bloom and that's how long it took and how much bleach. You can imagine how stubborn it is once it gets a hold on your pool.

I also have a DE filter that ran 24/7. The only thing that will get your pool clear is time. Be patient.

cruzmisl said:
Stick with it. I'm so glad you have a good test kit. After using it, you see why we were riding you to get one? It makes diagnosing water trouble much easier.

Yes, Ok! I'm a believer now! Sometimes you have to live and learn the hard way. The water has cleared up tremendously today but it has a ways to go. I don't have to concentrate to see the bottom anymore. I'm sure a more powerful pump would have helped speed it along but I must use what I have for now.

Thanks everyone for your advice! It was a painful experience but I learned SO MUCH! :goodjob:

I'll let you know when the water is clear again! Anyone want to place a bet on how many days it will take???? I'll send you my dirty filters if you are the winner! :lol:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
jjparrish said:
Won't be long before you post a pic of your beautiful sparkling water

I wish I knew how to post a photo but it says my pic is invalid. It's raining cats and dogs right now. I sure hope they don't pee in my pool! :lol: (i hope the rain doesn't mess up my water) :grrrr:

Also, someone mentioned that I'm not finished shocking until my water is sparkling. Maybe it was you Joyce. Should I continue to pour in bleach everyday to keep the level up even though it appears the algae is dead? I thought once the algae was dead it was ok to let the FC drop? That part is confusing me. My FC is currently 18 with 0 CC.

jjparrish said:
Sounds like you just need to let the filter clear the dead algae. (I apologize for the confusion.)

Yes, let your FC drift down to maintenance level.

Have you tried PhotoBucket.com for your pix?

Got it. Thanks for pointing me to photobucket. This pic was obviously taken 6 days ago. Now you can see what I've been talking about.
pool2.jpg

I thought I would send photos for today. You can see the bottom step and the pattern but not quite there yet. I also made a fountain/aerator for it today and I must say, for less than $3, it's not bad! Of course it's not huge and beautiful like most of the pools on here but my son loves it all the same!
101_1623.jpg

101_1631.jpg

101_1630.jpg

101_1627.jpg

I'm trying to be patient but it seems my water is stuck in cloudy mode after two weeks of running the pump 24/7. It just won't seem to clear. Could there be something else going on? I'm cleaning the filter twice a day but even they aren't very dirty. Here are my numbers...

FC-9.5
CC-.5
TC-10
Ph-7.5
TA-80
CYA-50

Thanks all

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.