Trying to figure out my X10 pool automation

This is very interesting. I've been trying to learn Arduino programming and home automation. I haven't really looked at devices that cater to the DIY market.

The Shelly devices look really good but I need to learn more. Since this is a pool forum, I'll keep my questions to a minimum.

What forums or resources do you suggest where I can learn more?

What software are you using to control these devices?

Thanks for opening my eyes to this.

My particular case will only apply to the devices setup because I use Alexa to control them instead of Assistant. But the basic setup is the same. You can go to the mfg.s website and use their forum as well as a few others including the Google Assistant forum to learn about the different devices and how to utilize them.

It's pretty neat. Once you have the device you download the mfg's app (Shelly Cloud) and follow the prompts for setting up the device. I try to name the devices something that's easy to pronounce and that makes sense in the scheme. For instance, I have a chlorine injection pump that injects bleach several times a day. I named it Pool Injection Pump. That separates it from the main pump and is relatively easy to pronounce to Alexa.

Then go to Assistant and enable the Shelly skill. From there you're all set to go. Then you can either control the device using Assistant or with the Shelly App.

I would love to see some of your Shelly1 projects. I like the Shelly Cloud interface. I could live with that and it looks like it could pass the wife test.

Couldn't I just use the Shelly1 for my pool automation system? This is a photo from the Shelly1 Facebook support page. This project uses Shelly1 powered by 220v to control 24v sprinkler valves.

Well, as I promised. I made a shot at a wiring diagram.
If you see anything that doesn't look right, let me know and we'll try to fix it.

View attachment 111307

P.S. don't take back what you said about Nick. Most of it's probably true! :)

Bama, in the above schematic, where would I pull off 24v to power my wifi (Shelly relay). I assumed the terminals at the bottom of the transformer would be 24v but when I test them against a ground, it shows nothing on my multimeter.

Reason I ask is I bought a Shelly1 and it works well in place of the X10 universal module but I want to power it with 24v DC so I can add a switch.

The transformer is 24 VAC not vdc that the Shelly requires. So you'd need to add a bridge rectifier to the secondary of the transformer to convert the AC voltage to DC voltage.

Well that explains it. The problem I have is the WiFi signal is weak to my equipment pad so the Shelly has trouble connecting. That leaves me with no manual method of turning on the spa.

I'm looking at bridge rectifiers on Amazon and there are a lot of choices. I could be in over my head. What if I wire in a simple DC switch downstream from the Shelly to close the circuit manually?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you are looking to fully build your own, there are some pretty good threads out there already.

This is the one that I am basing my build on.

Here is my thread.

Another good one

And yet another...

Thanks but I'm 99% there. My Shelly based system is easy to use and understand and it works with Google Home. The only things I need to add are 1) a manual override switch for the spa control and 2) an automatic pool filler. I'll hack away at both of those and eventually figure it out.

I thought you wanted to power the Shelly with 24VDC instead of 120VAC. If that's the case just run the 24vac to the rectifier and then run 24vdc from the rectifier to the Shelly. Leave everything else hooked up as it is.

As suggested on the Shelly Support Facebook page, I installed a switch between the SW and L terminals. It works but.... in reverse. In other words, if the switch is off, the relay closes. If the switch is on, the relay opens. This is a head scratcher. I have no explanation for this. Any ideas?

\
Image may contain: text

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.