Trying to covert sister to TFP method

Neo337

May 10, 2015
Memphis, TN
So, I have been on this site the past few years and think it is the best. I recommend it to everyone I know that has a pool. My sister FINALLY decided (after fighting with her pool and spending tons last season) to try it the TFP way. I have been helping her through the process so far, but she started with a brown swamp. She has a good testing kit, has done the SLAM process, and can pass everything but the clear water. She isn't losing much FC, her stabilizer levels are good, it believe it is mostly just dead algae and particles still clouding up her pool since it was so dirty. She has been at it for 3 weeks and is getting impatient with letting the filter clear up all the cloudiness. She is brushing multiple times a day still, but what can I tell her to help the process of clearing the cloudiness? She wants to use a FLOC or something to speed it up, but I am not sure if that is wise. What is her best option to help clear the water? Thanks for the help!

If she's got a sand filter, she can add a little DE or the cellulose DE replacement to improve filtration. There's a link to the How-to within the SLAM Process article. She may end up wishing she hadn't, when it clogs up and needs backwashing every thirty minutes.

Regardless of filter type, any thing to improve circulation to get the floating articles into the skimmer helps. She's doing great with brushing, but arms get tired. (Betcha her arms are toned lately) If the returns can be aimed, aim one down at the deep end to get stuff stirred up and into the skimmer. Maybe connect the vacuum and set it on its side or upside down at the bottom to grab stuff as it settles.

Discourage her from resorting to flocculants or clarifiers. No matter what the hype, when all is said and done it's not much more than glue, and it will gum up the filter beyond cleaning.

She is at work, but this is what she remembers from this morning:
FC - 5
CC - 0.5
CYA - 35
pH - 7.4

She has a 30,000 gallon, inground pool with a vinyl liner, and sand filter. The sand filter just got installed the beginning of this season (a little over a month ago).

Add DE to the sand filter

It makes a huge difference in what the filter will catch. Make sure to keep an eye on the pressure as the filter will plug up much faster with DE in the sand.

Another trick to help clean things up is to not run the pump for a about a day and let every thing settle to the bottom of the pool and vacuum all the fine crude to waste.

Clarifier and Floc with do nasty nasty things to the sand in your filter if it gets in there.

She is at work, but this is what she remembers from this morning:
FC - 5
CC - 0.5
CYA - 35
pH - 7.4

She has a 30,000 gallon, inground pool with a vinyl liner, and sand filter. The sand filter just got installed the beginning of this season (a little over a month ago).

Her numbers don’t look great. She’s greatly low on chlorine. The elevated chlorine levels are what is going to break down the algae that’s in her water. Get her to increase the FC level to 16 and maintain that level until she can complete the Slam. As is with her low FC level it’s likely going to be awhile before progress is made.

Quick update, things are looking better now that she is keeping the FC level at her SLAM levels, but she still has a ton of really fine particles and cloudiness. I sent her the steps for adding DE to her filter, but I have a question about that since I have never done it.
After you add it, and the pressure starts to build, do you then need to backwash?
And does backwashing remove the DE?
Thanks for all the help!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Quick update, things are looking better now that she is keeping the FC level at her SLAM levels, but she still has a ton of really fine particles and cloudiness. I sent her the steps for adding DE to her filter, but I have a question about that since I have never done it.
After you add it, and the pressure starts to build, do you then need to backwash?
And does backwashing remove the DE?
Thanks for all the help!
Yes and yes.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.