Trying to avoid hot start, but builder...

Akuhn

Jul 20, 2018
San Antonio, TX
New pool is almost finished, wet edge Luna quartz St Martin is being installed tomorrow or Friday.
Builder says they will not do an acid wash because aggregate is so small in this finish so hot start will be necessary to expose aggregate. I would prefer bicarbonate start up but wife is pushing to let the builder do their usual thing. If I demand a non acid start, need to make sure aggregate is exposed sufficiently.
Is It true that small aggregate quartz/plasters cannot be acid washed?
Will bicarbonate start expose finish properly?
Any other advice?

New to the forum, live in S Texas...it is really hot right now.:cool:

A bicarbonate startup won't expose the aggregate at all like an acid bath will.

Just due to the way the aggregate finishes are installed you may end up with a very uneven and blotchy appearance without mechanical or chemical exposure.

Any chance you can talk them in to polishing it instead?

Thanks Brian. Not familiar with polishing...I’ll research it before I ask.

Guess I may be stuck with acid start up.

My superintendent seemed to think they would do acid wash AND acid start up after it is filled (pool builder ops mngr said no acid wash). I was under the impression it was usually one or the other. Thoughts?

- - - Updated - - -

Guess there’s no chance additional brushing with bi-carb start up would expose aggregate sufficiently?

An acid WASH is far more problematic and damaging, and definitely should not be done.
I agree with Brian that "polishing" is a much better option.
I offer another option. Since the builder acknowledges that the only reason to do an acid BATH is to expose the quartz aggregate, you might consider suggesting that holding off on the hot start and wait a month to see if you are satisfied with the overall color and exposure of the quartz. If the quartz color isn't good enough, then do an acid Bath.

What are your fill water readings for pH, calcium and alkalinity?

For my own pool, I let a pool cleaner slowly wear the "cream" away and expose the quartz. The result was good and I don't have an ETCHED surface.
Here is a thread that might be helpful: Why Acid Wash New Quartz Pool Finishes?

Waiting to do the acid bath sounds like a logical option if I can’t talk him into polishing.

Fill water...
ph- 8
alkalinity- 130
calcium- 100

- - - Updated - - -

If I used a pool cleaner to wear cream away, guessing I still have to wait 3-4 weeks before putting the pool clear in?
pool cleaner = Polaris type cleaner or are you referencing a chemical pool cleaner?

thanks

Waiting to do the acid bath sounds like a logical option if I can’t talk him into polishing.

Fill water...
ph- 8
alkalinity- 130
calcium- 100

- - - Updated - - -

If I used a pool cleaner to wear cream away, guessing I still have to wait 3-4 weeks before putting the pool clear in?
pool cleaner = Polaris type cleaner or are you referencing a chemical pool cleaner?

thanks

A cleaner should be fine to use after 7-10 days but don't expect the quartz to be exposed overnight...it will be a long process

Unfortunately, after an acid wash is done and the pool fills with water, a lot of plaster dust can form, which then may call for a hot (acid) startup to get rid of the plaster dust. To me, that is a lot of etching that I feel is detrimental in the long run. And that is one reason I push the Bicarb startup program.

As I think about it, I doubt they would be willing to polish the plaster finish because that takes a lot of time and money. An acid treatment is fast and cheap.
If the plastering company doesn't leave a lot of cream on the surface, the quartz color may show up well. However, if the quartz color doesn't show through, then a pool cleaner won't make much difference even after a year of time.

But consider the fact that an acid treatment can always be done later, six months, or even a year later to expose the quartz aggregate, if desired.

The fill water is low on calcium. Consider adding and raising the calcium level immediately after filling. But make sure the pH is below 8.0 before adding calcium.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Plaster installed yesterday, filled it last night. Plaster company “brushed” finish to expose aggregate- looks beautiful albeit a bit splotchy.

They are saying they will add 7+ gallons of muriatic acid (pool is about 10,500 gallons). Seems a bit strong no?

You think the PB is insisting on acid bath to even out the color?

Is there a “minimum effective dose” of muriatic acid (or ph level) to even out the color?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.