“True HP” of pump

Neemer

Gold Supporter
Oct 10, 2017
Fredericksburg, VA
I need a little help understanding this. I’ve been engaged with an online supplier about a replacement motor for my Hayward Super Pump. They informed me that the true hp of my existing 1.5hp pump is 2.2hp, and I need a bigger motor than the one I was looking at. They have directed me to one with 2.7 hp. Can someone explain how they arrived at the 2.2 figure?

Attachments

• 9C75EB9B-8201-4306-85A6-081B627A8941.jpeg
    9C75EB9B-8201-4306-85A6-081B627A8941.jpeg
    471.2 KB · Views: 11
That looks like a 1.5 HP motor with a Service Factor SF of 0 which outputs 1.5 brake HP.

My guess is that store does not have a 1.5 HP motor to sell you and trying to steer you to what they have. Shop elsewhere.

Reactions: Neemer
If you are shopping for a VS motor then it is a different conversation.

A VS motor is a variable HP motor. However running a larger HP VS motor at slower RPM and lower HP is more energy efficient. So a 2.7 HP VS motor that you run at less then 1 HP may be best for you. It would use less electricity then a 1.5 HP VS motor running at less then 1 HP.

Reactions: Neemer
A larger VS pump should be roughly the same efficiency as a smaller VS pump at the same flow rate.

If you're going to replace the motor, you just need a total hp of 1.5 or higher.

It might make more sense to replace the whole pump instead of the motor.

Compare the total cost and labor.

Variable speed pumps sometimes have rebates available from the manufacturer and/or your utility.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.