Troublesome Issue on Hot Tub Jet Pump

Doug4

In The Industry
Jun 10, 2023
Heathsville Virginia
I have read the posts related to GFCI issues, but have a slightly different issue. I replaced a wet end on a Watkins Jet Pump on Hot Tub due to a leak. All went well and was working fine for about a month. Then every other day the GFIC would trip (never when we were in it with everything running or on Cleaning mode). Usually it just trips when circulating every day or so. I was wondering if anyone thinks it may be a bit of corrosion from the old leaking wet end getting into motor? However was working fine for a month after putting it on. I tightened all connection to be sure nothing was loose or burnt. Then I unplugged components separately to test all one at a time. Narrowed it down to this #1 jet pump. It would only trip (still only once a day) when this pump was connected. Never trips inside breaker, just the outdoor GFCI. It works perfectly other than sporadic trip. Ideas on what it may be? And....If it is was a little corrosion, can anything be done to try to remedy this instead of the costly replacement? Any thoughts, ideas or suggestions are much appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_4663.jpg
    IMG_4663.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 5
may be a bit of corrosion from the old leaking wet end getting into motor?
Unlikely. Is the new one leaking at the seal?
What brand of spa? You said "breaker", is there only one in the disconnect? What amp? Post pics of equipment area, circuit board, and wiring diagram.
Depending on the controls, there may be other devices that will not operate without this pump, specifically the heater and uv/ozone/salt cell. These can be disconnected to test for ground fault, but intermittent trips during a heat cycle is often a failing breaker which can trip under any significant extended load, such as a heat/filter cycle.

I have read the posts related to GFCI issues, but have a slightly different issue. I replaced a wet end on a Watkins Jet Pump on Hot Tub due to a leak. All went well and was working fine for about a month. Then every other day the GFIC would trip (never when we were in it with everything running or on Cleaning mode). Usually it just trips when circulating every day or so. I was wondering if anyone thinks it may be a bit of corrosion from the old leaking wet end getting into motor? However was working fine for a month after putting it on. I tightened all connection to be sure nothing was loose or burnt. Then I unplugged components separately to test all one at a time. Narrowed it down to this #1 jet pump. It would only trip (still only once a day) when this pump was connected. Never trips inside breaker, just the outdoor GFCI. It works perfectly other than sporadic trip. Ideas on what it may be? And....If it is was a little corrosion, can anything be done to try to remedy this instead of the costly replacement? Any thoughts, ideas or suggestions are much appreciated!
No leaks, the new wet end is good and working fine. It is a Caldera (Martinique) hot tub. It is a 50 amp. Outside gfci's are 30A and 20A. The 20A is for the heater. I first had it off for days to make sure it wasnt the problem. No UV, Ozone or salt. It is the 30A gfci that trips about once a day. The gfci seems to work fine and never even gets warm. Trips when tested. I did notice today the motor is quite a bit warmer than the second jet pump motor. I pulled off a slightly kinked venting hose and it seemed to cool down quite a bit. I may have kinked it a little when putting on wet end a few weeks ago. It has not tripped all day. I am not sure if an overheated motor can trip the gfci? Do you know? I hooked up the pump again after fixing kink. Now everything is connected, and I should know by tomorrow afternoon if it made a difference. Fingers crossed, but I am not convinced yet that the gfci tripped due to poorly vented hot motor. ??

No UV, Ozone or salt.
Are you sure? I have never seen a caldera without ozone.

pulled off a slightly kinked venting hose and it seemed to cool down quite a bit. I may have kinked it a little when putting on wet end a few weeks ago. It has not tripped all day. I am not sure if an overheated motor can trip the gfci?
Not the gfci, but it could trip the breaker if kicking out the thermal cutout.

I am not convinced yet that the gfci tripped due to poorly vented hot motor. ??
Me neither, though it is possible. Leaning toward ozone or breaker. How old is the breaker?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.