Troubleshooting sand coming from return jet... standpipe & laterals seem ok

Jul 18, 2016
Syracuse, NY
I've been getting sand and small debris coming out of my one return jet this summer and have been dealing with it by sweeping it into a pile and vacuuming it until I've finally had a chance to take out my sand and inspect the laterals. After close inspection they all seem to be fine, no cracking or anything that looks out of the ordinary with them or the standpipe ("manifold assembly"?). Believing I've eliminated that as the culprit, I've turned my attention to the spider gasket in the multiport valve which doesn't seem too bad but when I rub my finger along it there is some crumbling of the rubber. Basically I'm wondering if I'm barking up the right tree and also while I have the laterals disassembled I'm wondering if there is supposed to be some play in the connection between the lateral and the assembly it screws into (I tried attaching video but either it's too large a file or file extension not supported). The laterals are not fully threaded but rather have notches that require a quarter turn to lock into place. Other idea is the sand I'm using is too fine (though I did buy pool sand from pool store, but don't remember exact specs). 15663088890608310098538674030864.jpg1566308968259626424759421144057.jpg

Last edited:
Did you recently have any algae in the pool? A sand filter generally does a poor job of capturing dead algae. Adding DE to the filter can help capture the dead algae. Skimmer socks can sometimes help as well.

hmmm... good point... so while I had the sand in a wheel barrow I started running some of it over one of the laterals I had removed and it appeared that a good amount of the sand was falling through the slots. so at this point I'm thinking I have bad sand (as in too fine). I just loaded up the filter with new sand and firing it up as we speak so we'll see hopefully that fixes my issue.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.