troubleshooting new vacuum

Bood

Jul 17, 2017
St Pete Beach, FL
I am a new pool owner (the pool is new, not just me to it) and just starting to learn about literally everything: plumbing, cleaning, equipment, etc.

On the advice of my (last) pool technician, I bought a Hayward Navigator Pro vacuum (with the large leaf canister). It has not worked correctly
since being installed by my pool company installer. Due to my lack of knowledge, I have not always been aware
of even what questions to ask, but now I am getting there.

To make a long story short, the vacuum mostly just started moving, albeit slowly, but typically stopped, either in
a corner, or later, just along the wall.

I have a modest sized pool of about 12,000 gallons. The equipment is mostly Jandy Pro Series. There is a Pro Series variable speed
pump of 1.65HP. Also a Jandy CS150 filter.

After a couple of weeks of not working, I dove in and started reading the manual, and trying to troubleshoot on my own. Although I
had done several things beforehand, yesterday I finally put on the included vacuum gauge and found out that it was below the minimum
required suction to work! Duh! FWIW, I had also put in 2 new sections of hose, per the manual, and tried moving the rear flap adjuster
from 2 to 1. (I did not get to 3 before I tried the suction tester).

I just spoke with the owner of my pool company, and he blamed me for not knowing when the last time the filter was cleaned, and
told me that I could not rely on my pool tech (which they recommended) to do this. Since I will be a snowbird next year, and had told
them that before we signed the contract, it is a little late now to tell me that.

Still, I expect that I will be able to get my pool tech to do this.

But since my immediate problem is the lack of pressure, I read the manual about the filter, and went out to look at it. With the
pump running, it is showing about 8 PSI, which is in the "Clean" range, so it does not appear to me that this is somehow the cause
of the lack of suction to my vacuum line.

Can anyone give me some suggestions of what to look at next? I do have the pool company guy coming out this afternoon, but
the more I know in advance the better.

One more thing. There are 5 what I would call valves with the labels, and how they are set:

1. Pool Return - 9pm
2. Fountain - 12pm
3. Cleaner - 9pm
4. Skimmer - 9pm
5. Main drain - 9pm

Clearly, the "12 pm" setting for the fountain is "off".

When the pool company guy installed the Navigator the first time, he told me (I wrote it down) that
for the skimmer to be out of the pool, that the Skimmer valve should be 9pm (like now) and the main
drain at 9pm (like now).

When it is installed and running, he said the Skimmer valve should be at 10pm (it was when it was in)
and the main drain at 9pm.

Since the issue seems to be related to pressure, is there anything anyone can glean from thes settings?
I realize that not all pools may be set up the same way.

You can all have a good laugh, but I thought if I had a pool installed and setup by the installer, and
then maintained by a pool tech, that it would be mostly "hands off". Boy I guess that was wrong! :cool:

Thanks in advance,

Mitch

Since you have a VS pump, is the pump running at higher RPMs to produce more flow/pressure when the cleaner is running? The cleaner likely requires more flow to operate properly. Try to determine what RPMs your pump is running at during each phase of your timer cycle.

Add as many details as you know about your pool, especially the filter, pump, SWG (if installed) and any controller you have operating to your forum signature here: Edit Signature

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Thanks, I just updated my signature with what I know:

12,000 gal IG C.L.I Pebble finish, Pump - Jandy Pro Series Var Spd Self-Priming Pump 1.65HP
Skimmer - Hayward Skim-Master
Filter - Jandy CS150 Filter, flow rate 125
Automation - iAquaLink 2.0 RS8, SWCG - Jandy True Clear 11K, Robot - Hayward Navigator Pro

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.