Troubleshooting Air Leak

May 11, 2017
Erie
Greetings!

We've opened our pool for the season and I noticed some concerns re: air in the system.

First, We have four returns, plus four "extra?" returns behind a bench we built-in, in the shallow end.

There's a split in our plumbing, immediately after the SWG - one leads to the "typical" returns, the other leads to the bench returns.

A few days after opening, I realized I felt nothing coming out of the "typical" returns. I've shutoff the bench returns, and now I have pressure out of the "typical" returns.

I have constant bubbling (subtle, but definitely there) from two of the four "typical" returns, and every few days I have a fair amount of air in my variable speed pump. I crank up the pressure until it fills completely, then go back to normal operating speed. A few days later - air in the pump.

So I have multiple concerns, all seemingly pointing to air.

As the name of the thread says - how do I troubleshoot air issues? Is there a standard process? Obvious things to check first?

If there are links to resources elsewhere, I'm happy to research.

Ive had issues with air leaks before. Air getting into the system are suction side leaks, before the pump. After the pump, leaks should be leaking water out due to the pressure. First, take off the pump basket lid and check the O-rings, the rubber gasket in the clear cover. Mine were worn and the guy that opened the pool didnt lube em. So I was getting a little air. I put on some lube and boom, no more leak (I also ordered new o-rings). Otherwise, its just takes some time and patience. The easiest way Ive found (and ive tried several, smoke from incense etc) is to turn on the pump and see that theres some bubbles and turbulence. Take a hose and put it on a union (where 2 pipes connect) and wait, wait a good minute, and if you notice there is no more bubbling in the pump basket, theres your leak. If no change, move to the next one.

As an aside, I have small amount of bubbling coming out of one of my jets, the others dont, and I have no idea why. Everything else is perfect, so, I ignore it.

Ive had issues with air leaks before. Air getting into the system are suction side leaks, before the pump. After the pump, leaks should be leaking water out due to the pressure. First, take off the pump basket lid and check the O-rings, the rubber gasket in the clear cover. Mine were worn and the guy that opened the pool didnt lube em. So I was getting a little air. I put on some lube and boom, no more leak (I also ordered new o-rings). Otherwise, its just takes some time and patience. The easiest way Ive found (and ive tried several, smoke from incense etc) is to turn on the pump and see that theres some bubbles and turbulence. Take a hose and put it on a union (where 2 pipes connect) and wait, wait a good minute, and if you notice there is no more bubbling in the pump basket, theres your leak. If no change, move to the next one.

As an aside, I have small amount of bubbling coming out of one of my jets, the others dont, and I have no idea why. Everything else is perfect, so, I ignore it.
I appreciate this insight very much. I've cleaned/lubed all known gaskets and it's definitely helped.

All plumbing is underground until just before the pump/filter, and everything around the pump/filter is 2-3" PVC pipe. Tough to test these things.

Thanks again!

Mine was leaking in three places. 1 where an old diverter valve was glued to a union. We saw a drip of water when pump was running. It trickled when the pump was off.

1 leak was in the union connected to the old valve because the o-ring was totally gone.

1 where a 90° elbow was glued to a pvc pipe. This leak I could actually hear. I put some pipe glue around it and the sound went away. I will probably have to fix it later.

So check all connections. Water, saran wrap, shaving cream, and smoke did not help me locate the leaks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.