Troubleshooting Air in the Pump Basket and Low Pressure

Poolipop

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 18, 2014
Fayetteville, NC
Good Morning,

Here is a little background on my situation. I have two 1.5" inlet lines and two 1.5" exit lines after Sand Filter.
  • My pump died and I replaced the pump and all the seals
  • My pump basket had air in the basket before I replaced the pump
  • I did not change the impeller
  • I replaced the lid and lid gasket
  • I replaced the pressure side piping to the Sand Filter
  • I cleared all pipes from pool drain and skimmer basket. (Nothing is stuck)
  • With all lines open, pressure is <5 psi and lots of bubbles
  • With the return lines closed 90% Pressure increases to 15 psi and bubbles in basket area reduce to zero. Seems to work just like it should originally and this is the way I am running it currently.

The only thing I can think of is that there is still a leak on the suction side, but would there still be bubbles when close the exit valves so much?
Could it be impeller since that is another common factor of the old system before pump replacement?

Thanks,
Ashton

When the return lines are closed off, it reduces the suction in the pump so a marginal leak may stop.

Check drain plugs and valves for leaks. Also check the water level in the skimmer and wier door for sticking.

When the return lines are closed off, it reduces the suction in the pump so a marginal leak may stop.

Check drain plugs and valves for leaks. Also check the water level in the skimmer and wier door for sticking.

Check Drain Plugs
Removed, check gaskets, added lube, all good.

Skimmer Good

Wier Door Good

Valves
How do i check for a valves leak?

You can pour water over the valves and see if the bubbles go away.

My pump died and I replaced the pump and all the seals
By this do you mean you replaced the motor? Did you replace all the gaskets too?

Is there a valve between the two suction port inlets? What happens if you isolate each suction line?

You can pour water over the valves and see if the bubbles go away.

By this do you mean you replaced the motor? Did you replace all the gaskets too?

Is there a valve between the two suction port inlets? What happens if you isolate each suction line?

There is a valve for each inlet. I have isolated each one, but the problem seems to be present when I shut off either inlet.

I replaced the motor and all the gaskets. What if something did not seal correctly here? Would that cause the bubbles in the basket or downline? Should I take everything apart and reseal everything?

I am very close to ordering all new suction valves and redoing the piping.

Pics for reference. Pay not attention to the water in the hole I dug, I was cleaning off the PVC so I could see what was going on under there.

Pool Pump Overview.jpg

Side View.jpg
Looks like the prior owners tried to fix something, but ended up a little short on the inlet side and it is making my motor tip a little.

inlets.JPG

Due to one side being lower, it tips in this direction as well.

Outlets.jpg

See how the handles are turned to almost off? It is actually producing the same amount of jet stream from the eyeballs, at least that is my perception. There is still air in the basket at this state and it is working to the point of circulation, but is not right.

I replaced the motor and all the gaskets. What if something did not seal correctly here? Would that cause the bubbles in the basket or downline? Should I take everything apart and reseal everything?
That is unlikely.

Is there a threaded pipe in the inlet of the pump or are you using unions? Other possible leak locations.

That is unlikely.

Is there a threaded pipe in the inlet of the pump or are you using unions? Other possible leak locations.

Threaded, I took that out, resealed it, poured water over it. Though it is a little loose because there is no way to tighten it. Meaning, I can still tighten it if it wasn't hooked to everything else. BUT it does not seem to be the location of the leak because I put Jack sealant on it and it seems to suction appropriately. Even so, it is on my list of suspicion if I cannot find another culprit.

I would replace all of the suction side plumbing and use a good Jandy 3-way valve instead of two 2-ways.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.