Troubleshoot PLC1400

Russmd

May 14, 2013
My current cell is about 3 years old. I take great care of it and clean the scale regularly. Flow sensor too. Recently I started getting high salinity error codes. I checked and the salinity is high, hovering 4.0 to 4.2. Meanwhile, when that error light is not on (which it rarely is), all indicator lights seems to be working well - then it throws a 120 code, eventhough the cell is clean and wires are good. It also does not seem to be puting out any chlorine despite the cell on/reversing/flow lights working normally. Chlorine levels dropping lock a rock.
So, questions:
1. Can high salinity prevent the cell from working?
2. Would the recurring 120 with a clean cell just indicate end of life?
3. These cells are not cheap - any experience with the alternatives like compupool?
Ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.
Russ

Are you sure that it's only 3 years old?

When was it installed?

What are the first four characters of the serial number?

Check the plug and prongs for corrosion.

What is the salinity as tested by a K-1766 salt test kit?

Has the salinity been recalibrated?

Thanks for your reply. I know my system well.
The cell was replaced with this new cell in Sept 2017.
H16G
The prongs and plugs are perfectly clean without corrosion. I keep them dry and occasionally use contact cleaner on them.
My K-1776 salt test kit shows 4.1, in line with the Aquapure. I recalibrated it years ago and now it follows quite closely.

All that being said, replacement cells are now upwards of $600. I previously had to replace the current cell after only 4 years (we have very hard water here.) If I need to replace this cell again, I'd be interested in hearing any alternatives that people have found work (like the Compupool model). Or, considering the $600 cost, I may bite the bullet and get a new salt system altogether and would be interested to hear what people think the best one on the market is.

But let's try to fix my current cell first...

Last edited:
Interpolation. It was a light milky salmon at 4000 and dark at 4200. Not sure how to visualize the interior plates for corrosion. Ones visible on end seem ok.
1. So can I assume salt at 4200 won’t cause a low chlorine output condition?
2. If I need a new cell, any experience with the Compupool unit? Change to another salt system?
Thanks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.