Trouble securing cartridge filter top

IL_WS

Sep 18, 2012
IL, NW of Chicago
Title pretty much describes it. Finally opening my dirty pool. Fixed where I hope the slow leak from last season was coming from. Water is almost high enough to start running the pump. But I (again) am having issues getting the large screw-on top of the cartridge filter secured. It's as if the filter itself is blocking me, but I've wiggled it around to try to make sure everything is aligned. I've tried starting with the filter seated in the base and adding the top. Then with the filter seated in the lid and (trying) slide into the base (trickier).

I've had issues many times before and always figured it out, but I'm just getting frustrated (and really sweaty) this time. Any guidance to this obvious user error would be greatly appreciated.

It's as if the filter itself is blocking me, but I've wiggled it around to try to make sure everything is aligned.
You are referring to the paper cartridge itself correct? Making sure it's all the way down? No chance something fell in or is laying underneath it by accident?

You are referring to the paper cartridge itself correct? Making sure it's all the way down? No chance something fell in or is laying underneath it by accident?
Nothing blocking. Tried the filter in both orientations and it slides on one side however I align the one side just fine. I'm guessing I'm just not perfectly aligned at the top when adding the top piece. It's a snug fit by design, and as I said, I'm getting frustrated

I'm getting frustrated
I know that feeling. :brickwall: Suggestion - If it gets too late and/or before you reach for the sledgehammer, take a deep breath and consider stepping back until tomorrow. It will be fine if it has to sit. My filter lid gets finicky at times as well. Sometimes all we need it a break to come back and find something slips right in as designed. The sledgehammer will still be there tomorrow if you need it. :)

Reactions: Newdude
I know that feeling. :brickwall: Suggestion - If it gets too late and/or before you reach for the sledgehammer, take a deep breath and consider stepping back until tomorrow. It will be fine if it has to sit. My filter lid gets finicky at times as well. Sometimes all we need it a break to come back and find something slips right in as designed. The sledgehammer will still be there tomorrow if you need it. :)
Yep. I stepped away from it last night as well. Finishing topping off water tonight. Just got dark, so not ideal to view things in a fresh light (literally). I started tapping (hard) on handles with a rubber mallet and told myself out loud "this is stupid"

Reactions: Texas Splash
Get us some pics in the morning. Then try it without the filter to prove it to the cartridge.

Well, I guess color me confused. I went out to shut the water off. I opened the valves and filter bleeder to prove to myself it was leaking. Behold, it isn’t. I thought I remembered having to make the black screw piece kick into place. From the picture, you can see it’s higher than the locking features.

IMG_9311.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe some debris got in there and is stopping it ? I know with mine (totally different) I have to consciously think to put it down on its side or it picks up crud that I don't see until it's too late. Try sliding the ring up or off and/or cleaning it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.