Bronze Supporter
Jun 4, 2016
Marengo/IL
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi, prior to starting our Hayward pump I removed, cleaned and lubed the o ring of the basket on the pump. The filter has been running 2 days and I can’t remove the clear cover over the basket. It won’t budge! Ideas? Leaves collecting in this basket are reducing water pressure.

The filter has been running 2 days and I can’t remove the clear cover over the basket. It won’t budge! Ideas?
Mine gets stuck too. Do you have a rubber mallet? Just a few taps on the ears of the lid should help it move enough to where you can twist with your hands. Works for mine anyways.

- - - Updated - - -

Also helps while at the same time I open the air purge on my filter to relieve a little pressure.

Mine gets stuck too. Do you have a rubber mallet? Just a few taps on the ears of the lid should help it move enough to where you can twist with your hands. Works for mine anyways.

- - - Updated - - -

Also helps while at the same time I open the air purge on my filter to relieve a little pressure.

Thanks. I’ll try it.

I ALWAYS have the same issue. I automatically just slip a "wonder bar" through the handle to open mine. Gives just the right amount of leverage. Knock on wood, the 4th basket I have used this method, and have not had the handle break! (Watch, I probably just jinxed myself .. LOL). Hope this helps! Good Luck !!!!

Hi, prior to starting our Hayward pump I removed, cleaned and lubed the o ring of the basket on the pump. The filter has been running 2 days and I can’t remove the clear cover over the basket. It won’t budge! Ideas? Leaves collecting in this basket are reducing water pressure.

I haven't used a Hayward pump since sometime around 1998 (haven't had a pool since then up until our Intex right now), but we always had the same exact problem with two different pumps from 1980-1998.

From what I recall, even using Vaseline on the O ring wouldn't help and you basically had to keep trying until it would move. Once it moved a little, it'd twist right open.

Sounds like nothing has changed. :p

I had the same issue until I stopped putting it on so tight. With the o-ring lubed up it makes it easy to over tighten. I used to bash my knuckles on the inlet pipe. Now I always make sure the ears are perpendicular to the inlet pipe.

I, finally, got my Intex pump cover off after dozens of try. Had to get a friend who works out a lot and has big hands to do it. Intex doesn't have a handle on top of the pump cover. Any suggestions as to how to put it back on so I don't have this problem again? Jacks lube and don't tighten much? Anything else to try?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.