Trouble lowering alkalinity just before closing

HiddenRiver

Gold Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Jun 15, 2017
East Coventry, PA
We had the pool replastered one year ago and continue to have trouble bringing the alkalinity down even though I am following pool math recommendations with lowering pH. I have brought the pH down to 7.2 but alkalinity is still at 160 and Calcium hardness is at about 300. Do I just keep adding acid to get the alkalinity down? Is the pool still curing after one year?

After a year your plaster will be fully cured.

If your TA will not drop, then alkalinity is being added somehow. Either by chemical additions or fill water.

You look to be on a well. Well water can be often times have a high TA and CH level. You can test that well water to see. When trying to lower TA, be sure to let the pH rise to about 7.8 - 8.0 THEN use enough muriatic acid to lower the pH to about 7.0 - 7.2. That large swing should have a better impact on your TA. Something to consider next spring when you open.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.