Trouble clearing water

snowwhitey

Gold Supporter
Jun 3, 2013
Hello,

First time posting, but I have been reading and learning from you for years! Thank you! We are opening our pool for the first time in 3 years because we were temporarily living out of state.

We are almost there! It is clearing every day, although I wish the process was quicker, and because finding bleach is so hard, less inconvenient from that aspect. Once I get my pool clear I know it will be smooth sailing.

My numbers:
FC = 12 ppm
CC = 0 ppm
CH = 250 ppm
CYA = not sure, somewhere between 30 and 40
Have not tested PH because of the high chlorine

I have been slamming for 5 days now, each day the water is clearer, and for the first time this morning I can see the bottom of the deep end!! When I test at night the FC has decreased to about 6 or 8 (from the morning at about 12), which is when I add bleach to bring it back up. I am having trouble with the CYA test because it feels subjective to me. Could my CYA be lower because I am not reading the black dot test right? (is the black dot still there? has it disappeared?) There is little to no overnight chlorine loss, only 1 or 2 ppm if at all.

Should I add bleach during the day to keep the FC level high? Or just keep doing what I am doing? The weather is cloudy today so I think I can add bleach without it degrading but would love confirmation. Could the chlorine loss during the day be because of a lower CYA level?

I have plenty of dichlor as well as gallons of 12.5% liquid chlorine. Wondering if I should temporarily switch to dichlor to raise CYA a little.

Thank you all for your great advice and money and time saving system!

When slamming, raise FC every couple of hours if possible. Brush often. No need to go past slam level very much if you can test regularly.
16 FC is slam Level for 40 cya.

For now use 40 as cya, don’t raise cya until slam over.
When testing cya I like to pour into tube to a safe line without looking at it, lower and glance, fill to next line, glance again, repeat as needed. You can also pour mix back into bottle, shake and do test again, take average.

Your CYA is at a good level. I'd hold off on the pucks for now. You need to add chlorine more often if you can. The goal is to hold the level at shock level all the time if possible. Letting it drop that much just slows down the process.

Thank you for your replies! I did a little searching on correct CYA testing and I think my levels are actually lower. Probably closer to 20 than 30 or 40. May account for chlorine loss during the day. Thank you for your advice and replies!

So I know you should avoid adding chlorine during the day because of sunlight degradation, but now know should still add during the day if slamming. Thank you for that clarification.

Fingers crossed we will be swimming soon!

Reactions: Msch99
From what I have read, the time of day you add CL doesn’t really matter. Some add in AM some PM. You are going to lose x amount anyway.

While it doesn’t matter the reason I do it at night is if the chlorine is getting toward the low end of the range for my CYA, by doing it at night it leaves less time toward the lower end of the range for me. I know it really doesn’t matter, it’s a all in ones reasoning..

Reactions: Msch99
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.