Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Maybe this is a “no duh” situation.
Thought to share after some observation. With my solar cover on (taking off to swim or add chemicals), I can go 10 days before adding water to top off. If I leave the cover off, I have to top off after 4 days. This is in 95-100 degree heat. I’m impressed because while I figured the solar cover was helping, I didn’t recognize the extent. When I top off for 1 hour, it’s 350 gallons of water so the cover really does help conserve.

Now my only issue is trying to think of how to make the solar cover less of a disposable thing since mine doesn’t last more than a season. Don’t say reel, that’s not an option due to the pool set up. Hmmmmm

That is the main function of a solar cover, reduce evaporation at night. That is when cooling occurs. Eliminate it and the water stays warmer.

FC loss will be a little less.

They actually can work, if you have zero wind at all times. Not likely. Also can leave a residue at the waterline and in the skimmer.

Thanks for the info. I may eventually try one just to test it out, but will want to look for one that’s not required to sit in the skimmer. At my rate of solar cover degradation, $15 for something that supposedly lasts a month would be viable. Though I am skeptical that this would last a whole month. Per the description it settles again after being shifted by movement and is safe to swim in.

Maybe this one is a better choice since you pour it directly into the pool.
TROPICAL FISH LIQUID SOLAR BLANKET - Liquid Heat - Solar Pool Cover in a Bottle -Reduce Evaporation, Conserve Heat- 1L(33.8oz) https://a.co/d/f0LPSue

Like I said, it works with NO wind, like in an indoor pool. Outdoor, not really.
Yes I understand. It says that it it merges back together as well. Not sure. Certainly a solar cover is more effective but given the degradation and work to put it on and off seems this might eventually be worth a try when my solar cover bites the dust.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok I bought the tropical fish one and will post my thoughts after I receive it and use it for a while. There weren’t any ingredients listed, but if it’s alcohol as you mentioned all of them are, should be fine.
I wonder if it degrades and that’s why you have to add more?

Reactions: Saturn94
How did you experiment work trying to use something different than then a solar cover? I am right in the midst of considering to get another 8 mil. My current one only lasted one year. Lots of work for one season, but I guess it is what it is....

The tropical fish was ineffective. I don’t recommend it. It was applied as recommended on bottle and it was not windy. The evaporation was only slightly less than if I had just used nothing. The solar cover is the cumbersome, yet effective way to go.

Got it. Thanks for the feedback.

I am starting the process of looking for a new 8 mil cover. If only I could find one that doesn't start degrading after 1 year. 1 mo. ago I saw Doheny's had a 20x40 priced good enough, but most likely it is not any different than the others as far as durability.

My cover never lasts more than the summer season. 4 maybe 5 months tops before it has tearing/popped bubbles and is trash. We take it on and off a lot, and no reel because the pool is constructed on uneven heights. The cover works well and I’ve come to terms with just buying a replacement each year.

Same exact situation: no reel, irregular kidney shaped Pool, raised step level on one side of the pool which makes for an uneven deck that’s not conducive for a reel.

Do you buy the cheapest lightest as I do? I always look for a cheap 8 mil cover. Many times what I can find at Amazon. This year, I may buy my 20 x 40 8 mill from Doheny’s and cut it down to size.

Yup, I just get the cheapest one and usually cut into strips along the seams for easier removal. I don’t have a particular vendor. I have used Amazon and Solarcovers.com

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.