Jun 12, 2021
Sterling, MA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Hi all,

First of all THANK YOU! I am new home owner and just got my pool crystal clear using SLAM! Took a while because it was very dirty, I have cartridge filter, and no bottom drain (didn't know that until I reached crystal clear- just two skimmers).

Now the pump has died- I suspected it was not going to last long as I had to manually turn the motor shaft to get it to break free when I first got things going and now it has fully died. Very few videos on the dying pump sound, here's exactly the sound mine was making Sounds of a dying pool motor Manual turning is now very difficult and jumpy- I can feel the notchiness and intermittent resistance from the magnets (I think).

Right before the motor died, I had just replaced the impeller which had a worn flange and I also lubed all the seals. All the bearings and the rest of the pump housing are solid so I'd like to keep it but I want to upgrade to variable, mostly for the quieter operation. I have found inyopools to be helpful, but they don't list a variable option for my pump (here). There don't seem to be clear standards for pump fits, so I'm asking you experienced folks for help.

Is there a variable speed motor I could fit to my pump?

My Setup:
2 skimmers, NO drain, 2 returns + cleaner jet/return, jets by low end stairs, and then a swim out with seats and jets. I would LIKE more pressure coming out of the jets in the swim out- not sure if that would just be something with a higher HP or GPM. I have manipulated valves to divert more water to that swim out and that only takes if from imperceptible trickle to a light flow.

Pump: Hayward Tristar SP3210EE
Motor: Century SP3210Z1BE 1HP
Filter: Sta-Rite SM120
32,000 Gallons

Thank you in advance for insights and recommendations!

Maybe go with a new Tristar VS 2.7 hp pump.

Do you have automation?
Thanks for the response. I have an autopilot digital. So you think I've got to go whole new pump? I don't understand why I can't just change the motor to a newer variable one? It looks like all "square" motors mount to all "square" pump housings- I know it isn't that simple, but what else do I need to make sure mates up or how can I know? I can't be the only one that would prefer to spend a few hundred vs over a thousand.

Also, if I truly don't have the motor only option (for variable) then could you help me understand why you recommend that particular pump and hp rating? Do you all have a preferred online vendor for buying these?

I would LIKE more pressure coming out of the jets in the swim out- not sure if that would just be something with a higher HP or GPM. I have manipulated valves to divert more water to that swim out and that only takes if from imperceptible trickle to a light flow.
Can you show the valves?

Are you sure that all flow was going to the jets?

Are the jets working correctly with all the parts installed?

Do you have pictures of the jets?

If yes, then you might want to upsize the hp for better action.

Reactions: Ferreira
I'm away now, but yes, I have directed flow to them, they are missing eyeballs which are on order, so we'll see how it feels when those come in, bit I'm currently motorless so can't test.

If I understand things right the only issue with oversize pump is strain on the pump? What would indicate that? If variable I can always dial that back right? So it seems if going variable, when in doubt size up?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.