Tricky orange algae problem - FC and CC look good

NSBFAN

Nov 13, 2015
Minnesota
Hello all, it’s been awhile. I hope everyone is doing well. I have been maintaining my pool for over 4years and this is the first time I’ve had to deal with what I think is orangish colored algae. It showed up as a few patches on the stairs and sides. I brushed them off and tested the water using FAS-DPD Taylor kit.
FC at 7
CC at .4
ph - 7.6
CYA - 40 (could be 30-40)
Borates - 30
temp 84
14000 gallon plaster pool

So I put in enough 10% bleach to reach what the SLAM level of 12 for FC. It seemed to work as for two days the FC was at 8 and CC was zero. Today the third day, I notice some patches again. Readings today were:
FC - 6.8
CC - 0.2
Water looks nice and clear. So given the numbers, I”m surprised it returned. Perhaps I didn’t get the SLAM right?

You say you added chlorine to get to SLAM level, but did you continue the SLAM?

A SLAM is not a one time addition of chlorine, but a full process to be followed until the end.

Thanks guys. I think it was a 1st time SLAM mistake. I did add to the correct shock level, but then just tested the next day and thought since FC was in a “good range” and CC was zero, I fixed it.

So it looks Like I need to get the FC to 16 and keep it there until the 3 conditions are met, then let it go down, correct?

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.