Tri-Sensor reading very low for salt.

mattrufus

May 15, 2017
little rock/ ar
I just won a battle with my Autopilot APA0003 Tri Sensor. I tend to break more than I fix and this looked to be going the wrong way at first. Hope this helps someone.
My sensor was reading 1000-1400 salt when it was 3000. I thought, why not clean the cell and the sensor? I have never touched the sensor. The sensor was a total pain to remove. Lesson learned, it's just really tight (obviously, remove the screws first). I couldn't get it to budge. Kept wondering if it was threaded or if someone glued it in. While using the channel locks, I broke off the flow indicator tab. No big deal. I braced the pipes the best I could with my legs and body and hammered down on twisting it. I was worried I would break something, so it took me a while to give it all I had. Once it started rotating and hope was revived, it was pretty easy to remove.
I was disappointed when I removed it, because it looked perfect. I decided to give the 4:1 acid bath a try (4 part water, add 1 part muriatic acid). I wanted to leave it for a while, 15-30 minutes. I found it was easiest to tie off the cable and let the sensor dangle in the solution. I tried propping it up on something first, but the risk of it tipping was too much.
After soaking the sensor and repenting for my anger when trying to get the sensor out, I put it back in. It was tight going back it, but not as bad removing it. Before inserting it, I did notice a line on the plastic that went to the sensor that divided the yellow white from the absolute white part that was in the solution. This gave me hope that, although it looked clean, there was actually was scaling on it that had been removed. To my surprise, this must have been true. When I replaced it, the monitor immediately read 3000 salt and started generating chlorine.
The link below has good instructions for the sensor.

Please add any other tips. My family loves this pool. I consider it my nemesis!!! Hope this helps someone.

I just won a battle with my Autopilot APA0003 Tri Sensor. I tend to break more than I fix and this looked to be going the wrong way at first. Hope this helps someone.
My sensor was reading 1000-1400 salt when it was 3000. I thought, why not clean the cell and the sensor? I have never touched the sensor. The sensor was a total pain to remove. Lesson learned, it's just really tight (obviously, remove the screws first). I couldn't get it to budge. Kept wondering if it was threaded or if someone glued it in. While using the channel locks, I broke off the flow indicator tab. No big deal. I braced the pipes the best I could with my legs and body and hammered down on twisting it. I was worried I would break something, so it took me a while to give it all I had. Once it started rotating and hope was revived, it was pretty easy to remove.
I was disappointed when I removed it, because it looked perfect. I decided to give the 4:1 acid bath a try (4 part water, add 1 part muriatic acid). I wanted to leave it for a while, 15-30 minutes. I found it was easiest to tie off the cable and let the sensor dangle in the solution. I tried propping it up on something first, but the risk of it tipping was too much.
After soaking the sensor and repenting for my anger when trying to get the sensor out, I put it back in. It was tight going back it, but not as bad removing it. Before inserting it, I did notice a line on the plastic that went to the sensor that divided the yellow white from the absolute white part that was in the solution. This gave me hope that, although it looked clean, there was actually was scaling on it that had been removed. To my surprise, this must have been true. When I replaced it, the monitor immediately read 3000 salt and started generating chlorine.
The link below has good instructions for the sensor.

Please add any other tips. My family loves this pool. I consider it my nemesis!!! Hope this helps someone.
Good Afternoon,

I’m looking for a follow up to your post. My autopilot is stuck at reading 2800 and asking for 40lbs of salt.

Multiple pool store tests are coming back between 3800 and 4200. I can also taste the salt which was never an issue.

I’ve done the exact cleaning method twice, with the same results both times………but, both times, over the next 24 hours it slowly dropped back down to and stayed at 2800???? I can’t figure it out??

I’ve been told to calibrate but my concern is that it will just be stuck at whatever number I calibrate to????

Thanks,

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.