Trees/Shrubs for Privacy Around a Pool

Jan 11, 2011
Kansas City, MO
I am looking for tree/shrub suggestions to plant along the back of our lot to provide some privacy for our above-ground swimming pool (see pictures). Currently no one lives behind us but eventually someone will build. Currently we have Sky Rocket Junipers and Balsam firs planted around it but both have not been doing well. What would be good options that might do a little better? Thanks!
IMG_20200403_174116.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200403_174229.jpg
    IMG_20200403_174229.jpg
    670 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20200403_174212.jpg
    IMG_20200403_174212.jpg
    506.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20200403_174141.jpg
    IMG_20200403_174141.jpg
    613.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20200403_174101.jpg
    IMG_20200403_174101.jpg
    590.6 KB · Views: 18
Nishiki Willow Bush has a pretty foliage and grows at a crazy rate. You can shape it or just let it go whimsy. It also tolerates being hacked back - very easy maintenance. I plan to add a few more around our equipment this year.

Forsythia is also another hardy shrub that blooms a beautiful yellow flower in early spring. Not very exciting past that, but a decent option for a privacy row.

I'm not a fan of evergreens personally, so don't have much to offer in that category. I do know that Thuja Green Giants were originally recommended to us as a fast growing hedge row book.

Arborvitae stay compact and dense and grow vertical. Heavy snow may cause them to split apart and we wrap ours in burlap for the winter to protect them.

Perhaps tall grasses? They grow 8 feet in 1 season and are very hardy. We have them around our pool great for privacy.

Emerald Green is what we selected. We planted seven of them. I was afraid the green giants might get too big for our backyard. Emerald Green’s are popular here in our area. My neighbor, without a pool, planted the Emerald Green’s across his backyard as a natural privacy fence.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks! For the tall grasses doesn't it take most of the summer for them to grow to a height where they provide privacy?

Hmmm good question I will have to pay attention more this year to how fast they grow. They have already started sending up new chutes and we cut them down to about a foot too end of last season. They were a good 8 feet tall last season. I'll see the progress but last year they were very full and created a lot of privacy seems like most of the season.

I agree with much of the above. Grasses usually reach their blooming height in June sometime. Thought they do require annual shearing. Which is not insignificant with some varieties, especially what to do with the remains if you don't have woods or a vehicle to take them to a drop-off location.

This is Emerald Green arborvitae, also known as Smaragd Arborvitae. Not sure if you have deer that roam to your backyard, but they do like these. They don't usually kill them but eat back a good bit as high as they can reach. Hit or miss with deer if you will have this problem.

Thuja occidentalis 'Smaragd' - Plant Finder

This is a less common option, though similar in size to the arborvitae above. It's Spearmint Juniper. I have row of them that is five years old now. They were 5-6' tall when planted. They are now 10' tall and 5' wide. I had to order them from a local nursery.

Juniperus chinensis 'Spearmint' - Plant Finder

Mine. Spaced 8' apart.

Keep in mind that nothing stops growing. The heights mentioned online relate to a time period, usually in the 7-15 year range.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.