Travertine type

Mar 27, 2016
Orlando fl
We are picking out our deck. We have decided that it will be travertine. We have 2 choices sandblasted or honed.

Really like the feel of the honed but worried about how slick it may become when it’s wet.

Got some samples of sandblasted and they feel really gritty when you walk on the them. Does that go away over time?

With either option we will be getting it sealed for color enhancement.

We live in central florida

Last edited by a moderator:
I have honed, and while it can look a bit glossed at certain light angles, it doesn't feel slick. I will say that I had some well worn bottoms on my crocs that were very slippery on it wet - scary. No other shoe or bare foot seemed and issue, so I threw them away and got new crocs. Slip never came back. I had one instance where some suncreen overspray left a very slick spot till I cleaned it up. Some of the grip texture comes from tiny pocs left in it, so just make sure it's not so filled and honed, or so polished, that it is more suited for indoor. All bets off if having sealed, as could not say and others would have to advise if that changes grip or not.

Edit: Actually not sure if I took pics of polished travertine pavers or honed at the stone store. Either way the builder recommended a different travertine (I think he called it unhoned— not sure if he meant tumbled) but it looks more beat up. Only did a small portion but the installer then grouted every single piece afterwards to hide the holes and indents which helped the appearance a lot.

Last edited:
Tumbled is a bit more rustic looking, with rounded edges instead of squared angles. Some like it, I do a lot, and some want sharp edges and smoother tops. It's all a preference. Tumbling does diminish some of the color variations, kinda like sandblasted. The holes and joints do smooth out very nicely with polymeric sand, which more than likely what he swept and watered in. That's usually used regardless of type you get. It's not permanent, so every so often you will need to re-apply.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.