Mcow

Jul 5, 2017
Greenville, Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
B904E1BD-B97B-4D3B-BCA3-0318BA853CAC.jpegOur travertine decking has been completed and I love it! I’ve seen mixed answers on if you should seal it or not seal it. Last pool we had concrete pavers which I sealed myself but still cost almost a grand for materials. It looked great right after and for about 6 months then started to wear away. I really do not want to have to seal this every year and I do not want it to be any slicker than it already is. What’s everyone’s opinions on this? If sealing is necessary what’s the best sealant to use?

The only masonry sealer I would ever use are absorbing water repellents., and, only when a distinct dry look was important in rainy weather, like cement brick veneer. Otherwise, what you can seal over from the outside, you can't on the beneath, which means a wet beneath in stone can grow stains you can't get to. Plus, chance of adding some slickness, possible yellowing, and having to reapply with needed stripper to prep. For me, it just ain't worth all that. BTW, we just laid 2,400 sf of that same travertine. Looks great like you have it.

The only masonry sealer I would ever use are absorbing water repellents., and, only when a distinct dry look was important in rainy weather, like cement brick veneer. Otherwise, what you can seal over from the outside, you can't on the beneath, which means a wet beneath in stone can grow stains you can't get to. Plus, chance of adding some slickness, possible yellowing, and having to reapply with needed stripper to prep. For me, it just ain't worth all that. BTW, we just laid 2,400 sf of that same travertine. Looks great like you have it.
Yes I am leaning towards not sealing it unless there is a really compelling reason why. Was a complete maintenance nightmare on or last deck. There is also so much color variation in the pavers I am not super worried about a minor stain here or there.

Porous travertine will be tough to seal for any length of time over 3 months. It will be a continual war. The sun's UV attacks most everything. I would let it age and get dirty naturally and enjoy your pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.