Travertine Paver deck & coping - need to make a decision ASAP! :S

Thanks carpainterinaz I received a similar sample from national pool tile, but in the little sample they sent it didn't look quite right, but I swear yours is the exact same as I have a 6x6 waterline tile from them sitting in front of me that must be the exact same as yours!

What finish do you have on the pool? Since we have so many of the same finishes I have to ask, what finish do you have on your pool?

I too got a ledgestone sample from national pool tile before I started my project, and yes theirs is close to the one I used. Came down to cost for me, cause the tile store I got mine from gave me the cash contractor price.
The interior finish is mini pebble with some abalone shell. As for the color I saw a QuartzScape finish in the Caribbean series called Montego Bay from national. Loved the color and it's my favorite place to vacation cause of the color of the water there. The guy that did the interior finish was able to custom match it in mini pebble. I match paint daily for my job. It's a very good color match. And the colors of the travertine, stacked stone, waterline tile and interior work well together.

Re: Travertine Paver deck & coping - need to make a decision ASAP! :S

Very nice. I'm not 100% sure that if the similar waterline tile will go with the Indigo Wet Edge Prism Matrix, the glass beads make me wonder, but it pulls it together so well with the travertine so maybe I am over thinking it?

I ordered a few new samples to look at this week and I hope to make a decision by Tuesday or Wednesday regarding tile. I'm behind on that one.

- - - Updated - - -

Did you put tile on your steps in the pool?

I live in a very hot part of the Bay Area too (inland North Bay) and we just completed pool construction. We chose travertine for our coping and deck and we could not be happier. So far, its much cooler on the feet and not slippery like concrete. Admittedly, we've not been through the hottest part of the summer with 100+ degree days but we've had a few upper 80's, low 90's. We do plan to seal ours with impregnating enhancer since we have a salt water pool. I'm hoping that doesn't make it slippery. We also bought our pavers through Bedrosians and were happy with them. We chose Cobblestone Brown, in the noce family. I originally wanted a lighter color but my pool builder recommended something in the mid tones because the lighter colors can be quite blinding with our sun reflecting off of it. I'm very happy with the color choice.

I actually don't know what color the coping is! It was supposed to be the same color as the pavers but it obviously is not. I wasn't too happy at first but once the pavers were all down, it grew on me and now I like the differentiation. I'll see if I can find the actual name in my paperwork. The Cobblestone Brown pavers do have that color in their range so it may be that they just chose them all in that particular color to be more uniform?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks so much for sharing txnole! I have a sample of that right here, and it is very close to the one I can get locally! :)

How was your experience with travertine mart?

I have only great things to say about them. They were exceptional in delivering samples, answering my questions and helping with estimates for our project. Their delivery was exactly as promised and very minimal breakage. Most importantly, the quality of the stone was far superior to anyone else regardless of price point. I would strongly recommend!

Hi installed about 1600 sq ft last summer. Travertine is slippery when wet, more so on the select grade that has less pitting, more honed and filled. It looks the best though. There are 3 levels of travertine and locally stone-mart.com which ships nationwide carries good better and select grades. I too had the same concern with a 2 &5 yr old running. I would recommend sealing the travertine with shark grip. It provides more grip and most sealing companies will not seal without it. Kinda leaves a sand residue. Keep in mind whatever color you purchase, get it wet and that will be the natural enhanced color once sealed. Happy I sealed mine, didn't like the chalky white look.
Here is roman blend(noche) not too light not to dark without sealer--

With sealer--

Agd38 - I love your sealed travertine. How is it working out? Is it slippery? I've heard once you seal it, you have to get it sealed every 1-2 years. Is that correct? Did you use the shark grip? We are currently having a pool built; they've started to lay the travertine, and I think it's too light. :/

I wanted tumbled travertine as concrete pavers always seem hot here in Florida. We picked up samples from the supplier and placed them in our yard in the summer sun. They felt pretty hot and I put water on them and to me they were slippery. I was surprised and and annoyed as I really really love the look and feel of travertine over concrete pavers. We have three young children and lots of their friends play here so we went with concrete pavers.

If if you have time go see a pool with travertine or pick up a sample and wet it down a bit...feel if it's slippery to you. I'd Still love to have travertine but it didn't work for us.

Travertine Paver deck & coping - need to make a decision ASAP! :S

Here is a pic of our Walnut Travertine. I think it may be too light. We'll see once landscaping is done. It's bright in the sunlight. However, some people say the darker stone is too hot...

I love your travertine btw! Probably because mine looks similar ;) It's very sleek and clean! One positive on the lighter travertine is that you can seal it without it getting too dark of a shade. Over time it will naturally get some dirt and wear and tear to it, which will likely darken it a bit. I think some darker color ground cover in between and behind your sidewalk will really contrast and "pop" your decking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love reading everyone's experiences with travertine since we are having to look at new decking due to color issues with the pavers and not feeling confident a new color or order will be correct.

Did any compare pricing to high quality concrete pavers to the travertine like the OP?

Also, how do you clean it? Power wash on low?

I think everyone's decks look amazing and that is drawing me in on the travertine. I am afraid it is going to be way more expensive than the pavers though and then it won't be doable.

I have samples coming from Travertine Mart and Stone Mart, both mentioned in this thread. We are going for silver travertine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.