Travertine Install Questions

Bijju

Jun 26, 2022
Houston, Tx
Hi Everyone. This is our first pool build and trying to understand whats acceptable and whats not. We recently had our decking installed. It Silver travertine pavers set on sand. Under the sand, our PB put like fine cement like layer (not sure what that is), compacted it, then put sand, graded and then set pavers on it. We noticed a few areas where there's a lip and its not completely flush. It doesn't look like it will cause any stub toes at the moment, not sure if it will get worse. Is that normal? Also, couple of pavers had small chipped corners. Wondering if thats normal too since its a natural stone. Can you please share your experiences?

Attachments

• 20230422_191329.jpg
    20230422_191329.jpg
    554 KB · Views: 83
  • 20230422_191158.jpg
    20230422_191158.jpg
    488.4 KB · Views: 85
  • 20230422_191151.jpg
    20230422_191151.jpg
    493.9 KB · Views: 85
  • 20230422_191141.jpg
    20230422_191141.jpg
    756.7 KB · Views: 83
  • Screenshot_20230422_215627_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230422_215627_Gallery.jpg
    474.5 KB · Views: 80
Reactions: CoachAlex
Picture ending in 151 is a little harsh, but everything else looks pretty exceptional.

Travertine stone is not always the same thickness, even if from the same pallet. It can vary by a mm or two with some varying up to 1/8". Laying on sand is usually done by creating a flat plane and then laying the stone - this will allow those variations to show.

An alternative is to lay them in mortar and displace the mortar to force them flush on the exposed side.

Yes, missing corners are very normal. The stone has voids and some of these will end up right where a joint is run during the cutting process.

All in, I think it looks like a job well done. The tiny imperfections are part of the beauty. Working with natural stone takes skill, and based on what I am able to discern through a batch of photos, they did better than many I've seen in my area.

Reactions: Bijju
I wonder if they could lift up the one that are a bit high and remove some of the sand under them and lower them the bit needed.

Who drew on the first one? How will they get that off?

Do you have any stones left? If so see if they can use the left overs to replace the chipped corner ones.

Reactions: Bijju
Picture ending in 151 is a little harsh, but everything else looks pretty exceptional.

Travertine stone is not always the same thickness, even if from the same pallet. It can vary by a mm or two with some varying up to 1/8". Laying on sand is usually done by creating a flat plane and then laying the stone - this will allow those variations to show.

An alternative is to lay them in mortar and displace the mortar to force them flush on the exposed side.

Yes, missing corners are very normal. The stone has voids and some of these will end up right where a joint is run during the cutting process.

All in, I think it looks like a job well done. The tiny imperfections are part of the beauty. Working with natural stone takes skill, and based on what I am able to discern through a batch of photos, they did better than many I've seen in my area.
Got it, thank you so much for sharing. It helps us set our expectations right :)

I wonder if they could lift up the one that are a bit high and remove some of the sand under them and lower them the bit needed.

Who drew on the first one? How will they get that off?

Do you have any stones left? If so see if they can use the left overs to replace the chipped corner ones.
Thanks for the input. Im going to talk to the PB to see if they can lavel some of the marked areas.

On the drawing part, I was able use a little fabulous+water mix and removed it.

We have 2.5 pallets left, but also a sunken pergola+few steps will need to be covered with Travertine. Once those are done, if we have few left overs, will ask them to swap the chipped corner ones :)

Reactions: kimkats
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.