The Prism grout is tricky. First clean the area with a pressure washer.

Then you need to pick a color you like. I happen to like linen. It almost matches my travertine and it end up giving it a lighter color, which I like.

Now here is the tricky part. You will have to work in small batches the Prism drys very fast. Also the consistency is important. It seems to last longer when mixed to a thicker consistency. Which again reduces your working time.

Go buy a box of it (they sell it at HomeDepot, I had to order it online to get the color I wanted). Mix up a small batch and do small section to test how it looks and holds up. After about a week hit that section with a pressure washer to see if it flakes up. If it does you probably mixed it too thin. Practice until you get it right.

Reactions: Jean23
The Prism grout is tricky. First clean the area with a pressure washer.

Then you need to pick a color you like. I happen to like linen. It almost matches my travertine and it end up giving it a lighter color, which I like.

Now here is the tricky part. You will have to work in small batches the Prism drys very fast. Also the consistency is important. It seems to last longer when mixed to a thicker consistency. Which again reduces your working time.

Go buy a box of it (they sell it at HomeDepot, I had to order it online to get the color I wanted). Mix up a small batch and do small section to test how it looks and holds up. After about a week hit that section with a pressure washer to see if it flakes up. If it does you probably mixed it too thin. Practice until you get it right.
Thanks !!!! I will give it a try, I looked online how to mix so I think I can figure it out.

@mcleod is a stone pro so maybe he would have some tips on how to effectively kill mold in travertine.

In general chemistry terms, limestone materials are nothing more that mixtures of calcium carbonate, magnesium carbonate and silica sand. Those materials, in general, are not bothered by high pH or strong oxidizers so bleach shouldn’t be an issue. Where bleach might cause some issues is if there are contaminants in the limestone that would react to a strong oxidizer and perhaps change color. Bleach also contains a good amount of salt and chlorides can do damage to soft carbonate stones if it is not thoroughly washed away.

My go to stone cleaner is Oxiclean. It is sodium percarbonate which is just a fancy way of saying sodium carbonate (washing soda) that contains hydrogen peroxide (oxidizer) rather than water. It is alkaline which helps dislodge dirt and soils and a strong oxidizer which will remove stains and kill organics. It’s also friendlier to the surrounding plant life environment than chlorine bleach.

If the stone has gotten a serious mold inoculation deep into its porous surface, then you may need to find a pH neutral surfactant cleaner that contains a quaternary ammonium biocide (think PolyQuat-60). That will penetrate the stone, not leave behind any residue but lift and kill mold and it’s hyphae (roots). Power washing (lightly) is fine for removing dirt but deeply embedded organics need to be chemically treated.

Reactions: JamesW
@mcleod is a stone pro so maybe he would have some tips on how to effectively kill mold in travertine.

In general chemistry terms, limestone materials are nothing more that mixtures of calcium carbonate, magnesium carbonate and silica sand. Those materials, in general, are not bothered by high pH or strong oxidizers so bleach shouldn’t be an issue. Where bleach might cause some issues is if there are contaminants in the limestone that would react to a strong oxidizer and perhaps change color. Bleach also contains a good amount of salt and chlorides can do damage to soft carbonate stones if it is not thoroughly washed away.

My go to stone cleaner is Oxiclean. It is sodium percarbonate which is just a fancy way of saying sodium carbonate (washing soda) that contains hydrogen peroxide (oxidizer) rather than water. It is alkaline which helps dislodge dirt and soils and a strong oxidizer which will remove stains and kill organics. It’s also friendlier to the surrounding plant life environment than chlorine bleach.

If the stone has gotten a serious mold inoculation deep into its porous surface, then you may need to find a pH neutral surfactant cleaner that contains a quaternary ammonium biocide (think PolyQuat-60). That will penetrate the stone, not leave behind any residue but lift and kill mold and it’s hyphae (roots). Power washing (lightly) is fine for removing dirt but deeply embedded organics need to be chemically treated.
Great post, thank you.

BTW, there were a few areas of rust from steel furniture that should have been moved sooner and I got them out by mixing a small amount of vinegar and salt and using a toothbrush they came out nicely. Another win for me. :)

Or try using Bar Keepers Friend (liquid or powder). It’s basically oxalic acid and polishing grit (silica). Oxalic acid can very effectively lift many metal stains. Also more nature-friendly than salt and vinegar … leave that for the fish and chips 😉

Reactions: Saints and JamesW
I used Bartender's Friend which I had in the laundry room and it did wonders. Rust is gone. I'm beginning to like my Travertine again. :) I did a gently pressure cleaning and the sun baked them nicely and it's looking better. Next is to try to kill the mold on the tiles that are seriously inoculated, :).
I'm sure I will be back with more questions after I take over the pool from the pool service. I think I can do it.........

Thanks for all your suggestions. Have a Happy Holiday.

"If the stone has gotten a serious mold inoculation deep into its porous surface, then you may need to find a pH neutral surfactant cleaner that contains a quaternary ammonium biocide (think PolyQuat-60). That will penetrate the stone, not leave behind any residue but lift and kill mold and it’s hyphae (roots). Power washing (lightly) is fine for removing dirt but deeply embedded organics need to be chemically treated."

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks !!!! I will give it a try, I looked online how to mix so I think I can figure it out.
McLeod here. @Katodude had some good points as did @JoyfulNoise. I would like to add a couple of my own. Having worked in environmentally sensitive places most of my career, I prefer to be cautious and simple. Two product recommendations
Concrobium Mold Stain Remover for Mold, mildew, etc.. Has no ammonia, chlorine or glutaraldehydes. No Harsh or Lingering Fumes.

D2
An alternative to the above, slower acting, environmentally safe, good for regular long term maintenance, and the only product permitted for use in US Park system
Biodegradable Cleaner PH Neutral. Contains No Salts, Bleach or Acids. It Is Highly Effective For Removing Stains. It Will Not Damage Glass, Metal Or Plants.
Safe Around Wildlife

Dont over think this. Outdoor travertine is usually pretty thick, usually the pavers are about 1.5” thick. Blast the moldy parts with a pressure washer. Spray it with some diluted bleach, then blast those parts again. It will look like new.

I have not found a sealer that will stand up to Florida sun and weather in general. I have tried a bunch.

I have used Prism grout with some pretty good success at filling in the holes in the travertine and filling in the spaces between the tiles. Sand and Polymeric sand just wont hold up. Even with the grout it is not a one and done. Welcome to Florida, you are in the tropics and stuff wants to grow. Its going to be a constant battle.
Exactly this. I had a travertine deck installed at my old house and every fall I would need to pressure wash the deck and this was the exact procedure. Pressure wash with a floor attachment, dump some slightly diluted bleach all over it, push broom the bleach around to make sure its all covered, wait 15 minutes and then pressure wash again.

I am going to tell you the grout has made my life sooooo much easier. The grouted sections dont have holes so they stay cleaner. The cracks are full so they dont grow black algae. Also dont grow spurge which just wants to grow everywhere.

Exactly this. I had a travertine deck installed at my old house and every fall I would need to pressure wash the deck and this was the exact procedure. Pressure wash with a floor attachment, dump some slightly diluted bleach all over it, push broom the bleach around to make sure its all covered, wait 15 minutes and then pressure wash again.
I am going to tell you the grout has made my life sooooo much easier. The grouted sections dont have holes so they stay cleaner. The cracks are full so they dont grow black algae. Also dont grow spurge which just wants to grow everywhere.
I looked at the Prism grout you mentioned, and it makes sense, but the linen color looks a bit dark and it's hard to tell. Do you have a photo to share? The tiles along the pool edge are grouted, so if I could match that color.....I need to spend some more time looking at the colors.

Here is a picture, but dont trust pictures for color.

Buy some and try a small spot or a spare piece that might be lying around.

Attachments

• BEA46F11-ED6A-4145-A9D0-5E5EB17F7633.jpeg
    BEA46F11-ED6A-4145-A9D0-5E5EB17F7633.jpeg
    385 KB · Views: 12
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.