Travertine deck expansion at pool coping

TimpoolTn2019

Gold Supporter
In The Industry
Oct 29, 2019
Tennessee
So I am building my first pool(40,000gal freeform).... I dug the hole, I did the plumbing, I did the rebar, I hired out the Shotcrete, I installed 150 tons of rocks, I installed the slide and two waterfalls, I installed the 2” bullnose travertine coping, I installed the pool tile, I built the pool shed, built the outdoor kitchen/swim-up bar, ran the gas lines, I hired out the electrical, I installed all the pool equipment, I hired out the plaster. I filled the pool, and am now working on the pool deck (1 1/8” travertine over the top of concrete) and have run into a dilemma......because the 12” coping sits on top of the 12” concrete pool beam and overhangs it, it leaves a 2” gap from the back of the pool beam to the back of the 2” coping. My 4” concrete slab butts up to the back of the pool beam with a 1/2” fiber expansion joint. When I go to install the 1 1/8” travertine decking, I don’t know how to properly provide an expansion joint in the travertine. Can anyone tell me what is typically done here? Do I need to provide a sketch of my issue? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Maintain the expansion joint with a gap between the travertine and the pool beam. You never want the tile putting pressure on the pool structure.

the gap will actually be between the travertine and the coping, but my issue is that the travertine paver passes over the top of 2” of pool beam below it to get over to the coping, and the mud base between the travertine and concrete base will then adhere to the pool beam. I’ll send a sketch.

I was actually thinking of a thin layer of sand , say 1/8”, then letting the mud base lay over it so that it would still support the travertine but have the ability to “slide” across the sand during expansion and contraction of both the pool shell and deck

The simplest way is to install the coping and then install cut pieces behind the coping to take up the rest of the space to cover the bond beam. Install the expansion joint to isolate both the concrete base and the pavers. I've seen a lot of pools with pavers and no expansion joint. I wouldn't want one either but I dont know if that would be a good idea.

I wouldn't use fiber expansion joint material, use foam instead.

I'll draw a detail for this and add it to the coping/ expansion joint write up

Maybe @jimmythegreek has done something different?

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I’m not sure what you mean, it’s is a very curvy pool, so cutting to any depth would be difficult. Plus wouldn’t the rebar not have the proper 3” coverage if you cut away concrete?

Cut a notch into the back of the bond beam like this:

How thick do you plan to have the concrete base?

I would always try to have the coping material selected prior to Shotcrete so accommodations could be made during the shoot and no cutting would needed afterward.

Last edited:
I assume the travertine will be placed on top of the cement base - why don’t you just float the travertine over that 2” space, provide 1/2” gap for the expansion joint, and be done with it. You could always use some construction adhesive on the travertine along to coping line, to avoid the stone from tilting if someone steps on it...remove the fiber and replace with foam, use the same foam, cut to fit, in the “new expansion“ joint.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cavmedic
Yes, I thought about letting it float over to the coping but I am sure somewhere in the French pattern there will be small 2” pcs that would have nothing to sit on. And are you saying the fiber I currently have between the conc slab and conc pool beam should be replaced with foam? Because it is too rigid?

I assume the travertine will be placed on top of the cement base - why don’t you just float the travertine over that 2” space, provide 1/2” gap for the expansion joint, and be done with it. You could always use some construction adhesive on the travertine along to coping line, to avoid the stone from tilting if someone steps on it...remove the fiber and replace with foam, use the same foam, cut to fit, in the “new expansion“ joint.

This is what I was getting at. Float the last 2 inches of the travertine to include the lower expansion joint. Also account for the upper expansion joint.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.