Transitioned to chemical balancing service (concerns)

Oct 30, 2018
Tucson, AZ
Howdy folks,

My workload at work has gone up significantly as I've taken on responsibility for a large, long term project and with the extra hours coupled with being away from my home for longer periods, I caved in and resorted to starting a scheduled chemical balance service from a local pool company. The chlorine service is done using chlorine gas injection, which I'm assuming does not affect pH as badly as liquid chlorine can. The pH is also nicely balanced with their service.

The issue I have is that when I use my TFT kit to measure chlorine levels, it's through the roof. The 1st time they injected chlorine into the pool, I'm sure the level was around 25 ppm. I discussed this with the service company and they assured that their target is 6 ppm. They injected chlorine yesterday and this morning, after a full pool cycle I'm reading 15 ppm FC using the R-0871 drop method. When I maintained my own chemical balance (the last 7 years), I've used the same measuring technique and targeted the typical 1-4 ppm levels. Clearly, there's a difference in the measuring process, but not sure how to socialize this with the company. I'm sure others have been through something like this before and just interested in thoughts from other pool maintainers.

Cheers!

To my knowledge, the use of Chlorine Gas is an acidic process. Liquid chlorine and SWCG are pH neutral.

I do not believe the acidic application reduces TA. Let's ask @JoyfulNoise

The FC levels must be high when applied to maintain at least some FC left in the water after a week.

I would suggest you install a SWCG with your EasyTouch. Would make life far easier and you would have control over the water chemistry.

Chlorine gas injection is a very acidic process and with lower both TA and pH. Gas injectors usually have to add soda ash during the injection process to keep the pH from crashing.

As you have determined through testing, gas shooters typically leave a pool with shock levels of FC right after they are done and then don’t come back for 10-14 days. The FC is left to decrease over time. They also usually adjust the CYA up to 100ppm and some go as high as 150ppm. This is to keep a measurable FC in the pool between visits. It may not be a sanitizing level of FC but the process is designed to keep FC measurable. Most people have no clue as to what gas injectors are doing but they dip their test strips and see FC so they figure it’s all good.

Gas injection is a bad idea in my opinion. Your pool’s chlorine levels are going to swing wildly with it and the high CYA will make fighting an algae outbreak impossibly hard.

As Marty suggests, get an SWG and ditch the pool service.

Running a SWCG has crossed my mind many times, but I feel that the maintenance needed to keep that running isn't cost effective. That was the original reason I decided to go to liquid chlorine. As a side note, I've noticed that my pH increases every time I dosed the pool with liquid chlorine, so I'm not sure how pH neutral my additions have been over the years.

The pool service told me that they do not measure using strips and are using some kind of drop testing. They also indicated to me that the CYA levels were around 100 ppm already and the TDS readings are high as well. I've never been able to get a handle on my pH levels, so I was pretty happy to see it be right at the 7.5-7.8 level after starting the service, but the FC levels remain elevated. I can't say that I'm suffering from the levels as I had a swim yesterday and thought it felt nice on the skin.

Running a SWCG has crossed my mind many times, but I feel that the maintenance needed to keep that running isn't cost effective
You would have to pry it out of our cold dead hands.

There is a small learning curve made easier if you already grasp daily UV loss and testing. After that, it's the only way many of us would go.

An SWG is basically generating the chlorine gas that you are buying from the gas shooter. SWGs are, at worst, cost-neutral compared to any other chlorine source. And if you set them up correctly and keep your water properly balanced then they are practically maintenance free.

Reactions: JamesW
I work 7 days a week an average of 80-90 hours a week. I've got nearly an acre of property plus the house. I maintain it all by myself. There is no one else. Exhausting? Absolutely. The LAST thing I needed when I bought this place was an inground pool. If it had been an above ground, I'd have torn it down within a week of closing. Not kidding.

Installing the SWG last year was one of the single best things I've done. There is no maintenance. Get everything balanced prior to install, get the salt level right and turn it on. Use poolmath to estimate your percentage and run times. Check your chlorine daily and adjust the SWG up or down until you have a good daily level to keep you near high target. That's it, you're pretty much done. Test chemicals weekly. Turn it up or down a little as the seasons change. Add a little salt when needed and that's not often. Clean the cell if and when it needs it. Also, not often if the water is balanced.

Combined with a VSP running 24/7 at low speed, it's a no brainer. It pays for itself. My pool in summer will go through a gallon of LC every day. At $6.00 a gallon, that's $180 a month. $900 for the 5 months of "swim season". 150 gallons. Let that sink in. I did one late fall jug lugging and that was enough. I started planning a SWG in February.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.