LifeTime Supporter
Apr 14, 2014
Highland Village, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Should I continue to track my pool's salt levels in the PoolMath App even though I have removed the SaltWaterGenerator from service and replaced it with a liquid chlorine feed? I have no intentions of draining the pool to replace the water but plan to let the Salt content disappear over time. My only concern would be the effect on the CSI calculation if I eliminate the salt tracking.

This is a great question. Tracking the salt affects the CSI, but LC folks never track their salt to know.

So. 🤷‍♂️ :ROFLMAO:

If you don't mind, I would track it for accuracy with very little effort.

If you *do* mind, you'll be no worse off than everyone else without a SWG. I plugged average #s into pool math with and without salt and it varied by .2. Off, but not by all that much.

I have no intentions of draining the pool to replace the water but plan to let the Salt content disappear over time. My only concern would be the effect on the CSI calculation if I eliminate the salt tracking.
Your salt content will continue to INCREASE with the use of liquid chlorine. Prior to installing my SWCG, i was using only LC. Over a 6-8mo period my salt level rose from like 800ppm to 2600ppm. LC contains SALT. If you use PoolMath app, you can go under Effects of Adding and see how much salt is in every gallon for your pool size.

I would continue to monitor salt so it does not go exceeding high.

Reactions: Newdude
Since I removed my SWCG this past June my salt level has dropped from 4630ppm to 3290ppm.
There are many factors such as rain, backwashing, water exchanges that can affect salt concentrations (as well as CH and CYA)
According to PM app for 16,400gals, using 10% liquid chlorine, the FC will increase 6.1ppm and Salt will increase 10ppm for every gallon added to the pool.
The K-1766 test kit is the best kit to use for testing salt as it has an easily defined end point with each drop equaling 200ppm.
Keep us informed of any issues with your LC process.

I removed the SWCG generator because the equipment "died" after 5 plus years. The replacement cost was over $1500.00 so I decided to pay over time to chlorinate the pool. I already had a Stenner pump system for the acid and the chlorine so it was an easy decision to make.
I use an eXact iDip to measure the salt content and verify the results monthly with the K-1766.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.