TP Link Kasa WIFI Switch for Pool Light

tarunc82

Jun 10, 2020
Hillsborough, NJ
Hello All.

I sent this question to @ajw22

Hi I noticed you helped someone install a wi-fi switch in the past so I figured I would reach out.
I have a 20 amp circuit breaker in my pool panel which runs to a GFCI outlet near by.
So, hot, white into Line of GFCI Outlet. (naturally ground)
Load side of GFCI Outlet has 2 hots going out - one to the pool light switch and one to another basic outlet near the pool. Has a white going out all the way to the pool light and outlets near the pool.
The one hot from the GFCI outlet connects to a basic dumb rocket switch. There is a red that connects to the rocker switch and goes all the way to the pool light.

I basically want to get rid of the dumb switch and install a TPLink Wifi Switch.

I have tried for hours and failed. But, I ran a new neutral from the Panel to a switch box.
So I tried - new neutral to white on wifi switch (since it needs constant power). Line wire on switch to hot coming from load side of gfci outlet. Load wire on switch to the red wire running to the pool light. When I turn power back on, the GFCI outlet trips....

Any help would be appreciated.
Tarun

I received a reply:
You need to pull the neutral for the WiFi switch from the same source as the hot line - the GFCI LOAD side. And was asked to post in a forum and tag.

@ajw22 helped me and eventhough I swear I did this 5 times, the gfci would trip....yet after he messaged me it worked as follows:

Hot from Load Side of GFCI Outlet to TPLink Switch
Hot from other side of TP link switch to light
Neutral of TP Link switch to LOAD SIDE OF GFCI NEUTRAL.

I now have a WI-FI Alexa Enabled switch for my light and a DewenWils Wifi Timer for my pump.
Basically wasted some hard earned $ on 1/2" parts to run a bare neutral from the circuit panel to the switch box....cant exactly remove them now so they stay in place sealed tight. :)

Excited....its like having a new pool.....well not exactly...need a new liner soon - Hillsborough NJ area if anyone has a liner expert they recommend.........

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.