Tough Stains

clwalk

May 25, 2023
Austin, TX
Hi folks. Thanks for your participation in this great resource. I'm grateful for this community and all of the expertise provided.

I'm feeling a little silly posting this, since I can see numerous threads describing very similar problems to mine. I've reviewed and followed the guidance in the Pool School, SLAM method, and several other threads, but I still have some persistent stains I'm having trouble getting rid of.

I'm hoping someone can give me that tip that puts me over the top and I can get back to regular maintenance.

BACKGROUND
Our pool was finished in the spring last year. I kept the pool well chlorinated and had no major issues throughout the first season. I live in Texas, so never shut down the pool. In late February / early March, I went on vacation for a week and hit a busy stretch at work. Before I knew it, I had a boatload of pollen and algae in my pool and a real problem on my hands.

SLAM
So, I went to Pool School, then read up on the SLAM process. I started with a Taylor K-2005 test kit provided by my pool builder and purchased a separate FAS/DPD Chlorine test. I tested the CYA (40) and pH (7.5), used Pool Math to calculate the target FC level for my 7200 gallon gunite / pebble tech pool (16), then maintained the FC level at 16 or more for 4 days, testing and brushing throughout.

The water and loose algae cleared up quickly, but I was left with a handful of persistent stains.

Pool Stains 1 Before and After.png

Pool Stains 2 Before and After.png
I continued with the SLAM in an attempt to address the persistent stains. I maintained the SLAM FC levels (16) and continued brushing daily for another 14 days. The brushing really feels pointless, since nothing is brushing off or clouding the water at this point. I've seen little detectable progress (if any) over the 14 day period.

I'm passing 2 of the 3 SLAM exit criteria, but still have the stains, which I am interpreting as visible signs of algae.

TEST FOR ORGANIC STAIN
I'm getting frustrated at this point, and starting to wonder if the remaining stain is actually organic. I leaned on TFP again, using a Chlorine puck to Test the Stains and confirm the stains are in fact organic. I moved the puck in the after photo, and the stain was gone underneath where the puck was and in the surrounding area.

Organic Stain Test.png
THE STAINS ARE FAINT, BUT THEY REMAIN
Pool Stains 1 After.png

Pool Stains 2 After.png

WHAT NEXT?
After maintaining an FC level of 16 for the last 2 weeks, I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong. The answer seems to be more Chlorine, but isn't 2 weeks (additional, after the water cleared up) enough? I could use some advice.

Increase the FC target. Add more liquid chlorine? I read in one thread that I should double the FC target to get rid of tough organic stains. I haven't tried that yet, but I'm open to it. I'm just worried by the cost of the liquid Chlorine costs for this option (10% trade Bleach from Wal-mart), particularly if this doesn't work.

Add more chlorine tabs on top of the stained areas? I have a tub full of these from the time period before I started following TFP, so this idea has some appeal. I could use the tabs that I'm not otherwise going to use. The single test tab was effective after about an hour. If I spread several tabs across the stains, wouldn't this be effective across the board? Seems logical, but I'm wondering if there are risks I'm not accounting for.

Something else? I'm open to following your sage advice and following another approach. I'm just ready to get this done.

What say ye? Thanks in advance for your guidance.

You already confirmed the biggest question - organic. Chlorine is the right answer, but how much? That's a difficult question to answer and the process could take a while. Residual plaster/pebble staining is a bit different than live algae, so as long as you passed all 3 SLAM criteria a few weeks ago (especially the OCLT), then you are simply seeing the residual effects of the previous algae bloom (stains). Not much else you can do at this point but give the chlorine time to work its way into the stains to slowly lighten it. The tabs worked because they are so concentrated. Watching it closely everyday may get frustrating. Instead, you might try comparing a photo of the same stained area about every 4-5 days or so. I would be hesitant to hit the pool with a higher FC than your current SLAM FC level. As you noted, chlorine isn't cheap and there's no guarantee having a high FC for just a few days will be long enough. Even though our water may still be a bit chilly, you can't swim if you are over the SLAM level. This may be more of a marathon as compared to the SLAM process you did before. Let the liquid chlorine do its thing over time, and continue to brush at least once a day if you can.

Thanks Texas Splash! I appreciate the feedback and advice.

One follow-up re:
Add more chlorine tabs on top of the stained areas? I have a tub full of these from the time period before I started following TFP, so this idea has some appeal. I could use the tabs that I'm not otherwise going to use. The single test tab was effective after about an hour. If I spread several tabs across the stains, wouldn't this be effective across the board? Seems logical, but I'm wondering if there are risks I'm not accounting for.

I have to admit, I'm not good with the patience thing (marathon) :). 100% agree with your guidance on Chlorine levels and keeping the pool in a state where we can swim.

Assuming I can keep the chlorine at SLAM levels, any risk in supplementing with targeted placement of chlorine tabs, maybe moving one tab around to different spots on the floor of the pool?