Total Newby with a question

Jdl25

May 21, 2019
Wendell NC
Above ground pool with salt water generator being installed later this month. The guy at the pool store told me I should expect the start up chemicals to cost 1k. I've been reading here and plan to buy a tf100 kit and add what I need. Does that sound like a good plan? Should I expect to pay that much in chemicals? I'm here because I don't want to rely on a pool store,

Welcome to the forum!
Wow!!! How big is your pool?! You will need salt and possibly some CYA.
When you order the TF100 get a salinity test kit and the Speedstir. You will need those.
With the kits, I can't imagine it costing more than $150 or so unless your pool is very large.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.

That's a good reason to be here!!!

You would have to provide us with more details on your pool for a guesstimate on chemical costs, but pool salt is pretty cheap - you really shouldn't need to add anything else (BE SURE to test your salt levels BEFORE adding salt - you'll be surprised how much is in there!). I converted to salt this year and am very happy that I did!

Follow the advice of the kind folks here and follow the Trouble Free Pool method of maintenance - you will save $$ and headaches AND enjoy a sparkling clean pool!

Great. When you get a chance fill out your signature. Use ours for an example. If you are on a phone, turn it sideways to see the signatures.

To add, say, 2500 ppm salinity to your pool will take 400 lbs of salt. Or 10 bags. I use plain water softener salt and at Home Depot if you buy 10+bags you get a discount. So maybe $50 for salt. You might need some CYA (when you get your test kit do a full set of tests, including salinity) so maybe $20 for that. With test kits (~$30) you are in $200 plus the SWCG.

Wow. My napkin math says you aren't going to spend $100 on salt, CYA and bleach (initially). I don't think I've spent $1000 in 5 years total on chemicals.

27' round with 54" wall calculator figures 19,200 gallons

You probably don't fill you pool to the rim, so make sure you calculate the height to the waterline. You'll probably find your actual water volume is a couple thousand gallons less.

Good advice above. Best of luck!

What is used to adjust cya? Is that the muratic acid? Is regular chlorine bleach off the shelf used to adjust chlorine levels?
Recommended Pool Chemicals - Trouble Free Pool tells you what does what and how to add it.

Muriatic Acid is for lowering pH. Study the labels before you buy laundry bleach --- they've started contaminating it with splashless additives and scents and something called Cloromax you don't want. Look in the pool section for pool chlorine. It's stronger anyway. CYA is Cyanuric Acid aka Stabilizer.Walmart, Lowes, any big box store with pool supplies.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.