texasAUtiger

Jul 10, 2021
Waco, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
So we are brand new to owning a pool. Some details are in our signature (but if I've left off something important, just let me know).

Our build is in the home stretch... decking is scheduled to be poured on 7/14 and plaster hopefully next week. Thus, we are probably a couple of weeks away from filling with water (famous last words!), but I would like to go ahead and plan/visualize how things will go with managing my water right after it is filled.

I assume the builder will teach me "his way" with tablets. Do I just politely nod and then forget most of what he says the moment he leaves?

What would your recommended "order of operations" be for the first day after filling? First week after filling?

Should I go ahead and acquire chemicals (liquid chlorine, etc.)?

I have already read all the articles on this site and have my TF-Pro test kit. I have learned a lot, but also realize that theory will turn into practice very soon!

What would your recommended "order of operations" be for the first day after filling? First week after filling?
The PB should give you a 28 day activity list beginning on the day your pool is filling. If not, then download that procedure from the plaster mfg. company of the plaster you selected.
Also, TFP has a link
Start Up New Plaster
Start-up New Plaster - Trouble Free Pool

Should I go ahead and acquire chemicals (liquid chlorine, etc.)?
Talk to your PB on what he will supply. Also, will he handle all chemistry for the first month? Having LC on hand is always good but don't buy it too soon.

I have already read all the articles on this site and have my TF-Pro test kit.
Use this now to test your fill water. It is good to know what is going into your pool when you have to top off due to evaporation. Also, if your neighbor has a pool, test their water. Practice is always good before your real testing is needed. FYI, tap water will not have CYA and the level of FC may be very low, thus the recommendation to test your neighbors pool water.

With regard to fill day - consider the following
Take a picture of your water meter before you start filling and then another at the completion of the fill. The difference in reading will be a close approximation of your pool volume. You can deduct 80gals/day per person in your household to compensate for personal use.
Also, wrap your hose end in a towel or sock to prevent marking your new plaster.

Yes, contract says they will maintain water for first 30 days.

I will practice test on my tap (fill) water and plan to hit up my friend to test their water, too.

Thanks for the response!

PS I'm a little amazed at the volumes of so many pools on here. I realize we didn't build the biggest pool, but it is listed as 22' x 39' free form gunite with a tanning ledge, then goes 4' to 4'5 with the deep end 6.5'. Roughly estimating the volume to be 22x39x5 is only 4290 gallons! Does this sound right?

Hey tAUt and Welcome !! Wanna put that test kit to use early and get a feel for the tests before they matter ? Fill a 5 gallon bucket and add 1 teaspoon 10% bleach for 8 ppm. Use the digital scale in the kitchen (or borrow a friends, somebody has one) and add .03 ounces of Cyanuric Acid (CYA) for a 40 result. You can take 50 tries at seeing the googley eye and be much better when it counts.

Reactions: texasAUtiger
*fun fact. Pool math recognizes a 5 gallon pool (the bucket suggested above) for FC but not for CYA. I had to claim my ‘pool’ was 50 gallons for CYA and divide by 10.

Those dimensions give 32000 gallons. I suspect it is less as the tanning ledge is shallow.

Oh my! I was stuck on cubic feet rather than gallons! No wonder!

Take two... 22x39x4.5 = 3861 ft^3 x 7.48 gallons/ft^3 = 28,880 gallons would be a more likely estimate.

That makes more sense. ;-)

When I fill, I will track the water meter to compare.

Last edited:
Reactions: HermanTX

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.