total newb, don't know where to start with my TF-100

For the past 3-4 days I've been seeing a slight improvement on the cloudiness each day. I've been checking the FC every 3-4 hours rather than every 2 hrs since the FC seems to be holding longer. (Plus I almost ran out of FC test chemicals! Got those refilled just in time!)

At the end of day 9 I can see my drain!

dE5TtRh.jpg

Awesome update. Sounds like you are all over this SLAM. Not mentioned so I'm just going to say it, but make sure you have that daily brush going on as well as vacuum when needed. It may cause temporary regression but it will clear in relatively short order and you'll still see daily progress.

Excellent work keep it up!

Awesome update. Sounds like you are all over this SLAM. Not mentioned so I'm just going to say it, but make sure you have that daily brush going on as well as vacuum when needed. It may cause temporary regression but it will clear in relatively short order and you'll still see daily progress.

Excellent work keep it up!

Is this the temporary regression you speak of? :( Edit: actually I vacuumed a couple days ago, and this pic was before brushing:

rpsOx5Y.jpg

Feels like a pretty big step back today... trying not to get discouraged but it's tough! I was almost there!! Today I can no longer see my drain, and the brush is blurry when I brush the deep end. We've had a few days of raining on and off, but nothing too crazy like forcing me to drain to WASTE or anything.

Not sure where I went wrong. The lowest I've seen my FC go is about 19 after I had a busy day (checked it 3 times that day). I may have skipped a day with brushing/vacuuming, but if I don't vacuum I try to brush, or vice versa. I did miss a day of that though. This morning I woke up and the FC was 26 (target is 24) so that seemed fine. Gonna check it again in a minute.

I just cleaned out the pump/skimmer baskets. Only a handful of small petals and a few beetles and spiders were in there. I've been emptying those about every 3-4 days because not much stuff seems to be accumulating and I've been skimming the top with my pole skimmer thing. I noticed some tiiiiny tiny dead petals/leaf things in the bottom of my pump, under the basket, so I drained those out via the pump plug. Not sure what else is up.

evv2RrW.jpg

Did you add the DE yet? I read through but didn't see where you said you did. Now is the time, you can start with a little scoop if you are super worried about the pressure spiking.

Also, this is usually a good time to do a deep clean on a filter. Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter

Hi, nope haven't added any DE yet. The filter is brand new though, new sand and everything. Would it still need a deep clean? I'm at a loss here, I just re-checked the water and it's still as cloudy as it was this morning. :(

If it's brand new sand then probably not. I have added it to my personal beginning of season checklist though.

Throw some DE in there! I have a tiny scooper for when I can't watch it, a larger cup for when I can. If you can check the gauge every now and then, you aren't going to hurt anything :)

I dunno, I feel like something else must be "off" with my pool. I shouldn't have to add DE, should I? I wonder what caused the total 180º in progress. Does rain cause this kind of cloudiness I'm seeing?

Just tested my FC level and it's at my target FC level (24).

UpP87LC.jpg

5Iyb6gC.jpg

Rain has almost no effect on pool chemistry.

Just to backtrack on some basics:

Your pump is running 24/7?
You are backwashing when pressure reaches 25% over post backwash pressure?
You are sweeping at least once a day?

If your FC is holding there isn't much left to "kill", it's the filters job to pick up the dead algae and whatever is left. If you don't want to add any DE suit yourself, but it's been recommended several times. It helps out with a sand filter's biggest limitation, fine filtering.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Rain has almost no effect on pool chemistry.

Just to backtrack on some basics:

Your pump is running 24/7?
You are backwashing when pressure reaches 25% over post backwash pressure?
You are sweeping at least once a day?

If your FC is holding there isn't much left to "kill", it's the filters job to pick up the dead algae and whatever is left. If you don't want to add any DE suit yourself, but it's been recommended several times. It helps out with a sand filter's biggest limitation, fine filtering.

Ok good to know re: rain, thanks.

- Yep, running the pump 24/7 (always do)
- Yeah, the filter's pressure has been pretty much the same lately. I think I only backwashed like 2 times the past 5 days or so.
- Yep sweeping once a day but missed a day during the rain.

I hear you on the DE, maybe I'll give it a shot Friday, a lot going on over here today (Thurs).

I read you drained and refilled twice, which resulted in a CYA of 60. Is it possible its closer to 80 and your target FC should be higher? That black dot obscurity is actually not so obscure. Someone posted this thread about CYA in my thread. I found it VERY useful!

CYA Standard Test Pics - Which is the result?

Right! I guess it's possible, sure. Do you think the lower FC would cause the cloudiness to come back? Maybe I'll try bumping it back up to 28 or so. Thanks for the link.

- - - Updated - - -

Did you say that you have DE? My (now replaced) sand filter would take forever...many days...to clear my pool from cloudy to clear.

Reminds me that I need to update my signature.

I do have some DE left over, yep. Thanks for the info - how many days are we talking? I think I'm at about day 12.

Adding DE particularly when your having problems clearing up the cloudiness towards the end of your SLAM seems to make a lot of difference for people with sand filters. What's stopping you?

Okay okay! I followed the method here: Pool School - Add DE to a Sand Filter and added about 1 cup total of DE... after adding the 4th 1/4 cup the psi is actually up about 1.5-2psi instead of just 1 psi.

Question: it says the pressure can spike so keep an eye on it over the next 24h but what do I do if/when the pressure does spike? Backwash & Rinse as usual?

Thanks!

Yep, backwash and rinse, then filter again. You will need to re-add DE after each backwash, maybe yours should be more like 3/4 cup each time. You technically shouldn't have to add it for the SLAM to work, but it does make the final push for clear a bit easier than just sand alone. It would eventually filter out, just takes longer because those particles that make it cloudy are super small. I use DE all the time; I can see a definite difference in the sparkling quality of the water even when chems are spot on.

The typical recommendation is cleaning your filter when the pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure, waiting much longer tends to drastically reduce flow rates and efficiency.

End of day 13: still cloudy after DE. :( This is the third day in a row of "the return of the cloud" - I feel like I'm back at Day 2! Are there any other tests I should run?

How long does it take for the DE to make a noticeable impact/effect? I've backwashed and re-added DE about 4 times today. Also, almost every time I backwash I need to re-fill the pool a bit. Is that what everyone else usually has to do?

Edit: BTW, my normal operating filter pressure is about 7 psi.

AH72pdz.jpg

u3NnFfq.jpg

Thanks again for everyone's input so far. I just really want to get this SLAM finished! :eek:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.