Ph = 7.6-7.8
CYA = 50-100

[6.27]
*Solar cover added
*17oz of Salt Water Magic added
*Water clear
*Very little algae
*scattered dark organic debris on liner floor - need to vacuum

CH = 100-150 (2 tests compared, Intex strips detected 0)
FC = 3 (Intex strips = 3)
TC = 2-3
Bro = 2
TA = 140 (Intex strips = 180)
Ph = 7.6 (Intex strips = 7.6-7.8)
CYA = 50-100

[6.28]
*Ordered Ph/TA decreaser (sodium bisulfate)
CH = 100-150
FC = 3
TC = 10 (Why so high overnight??)
Bro = 3
TA = 120
Ph = 7.8-8
CYA = 50-100

Please don't shame me for using strips, I currently cannot afford the professional chemical kits and I would just like some tips based of the numbers shown above :)
I plan on adding Ph/Alk. decreaser as soon as it arrives in the mail, would this be the only addition required as of now?? Or would you guys recommend anything else?

Thanks in advance!

Please don't shame me for using strips, I currently cannot afford the professional chemical kits and I would just like some tips based of the numbers shown above
We do not offer suggestions based on test strip reading. Bottom line is that they are completely unreliable and any advice based on their readings will be just as unreliable. We need good data to work with, period.

You are dealing with algae problems, you're adding expensive pool store potions, and you are running your SWG in to an early grave. I don't think you are saving any money by skimping on a test kit and going at it blind.

Reactions: Newdude
Please don't shame me for using strips, I currently cannot afford the professional chemical kits and I would just like some tips based of the numbers shown above :)
It is what it is ishy. If the Dr gives me a pregnancy test, I don’t care what the results say. *Thats* not why I am sick every morning.

We are all only as good as the test provided.

This post isn't meant to shame you. A proper test kit is the cheapest insurance you can get for your pool. It will save you from spending money on unnecessary treatments and save your equipment in the long run. You can't afford to not have a test kit.

Reactions: Newdude
I appreciate the zeal and dedication to best-practices, but I simply am wondering why the total chlorine could be so high overnight? Let's just say it's hypothetical and the numbers are accurate.

Algae is no longer an issue as of yesterday

Last edited:
I simply am wondering why the total chlorine could be so high overnight? Let's just say it's hypothetical and the numbers are accurate.
Hypothetically you have algae which is causing high CCs and low FCs. You will need to SLAM Process which could easily eat up $100 or more in chlorine based on a guess.

Take the CYA on the test strips for example. There is a world of difference in the *exact* FC needed between all the ranges of 50-100. Without knowing, you might need some FC, or you might need a lot. If you guess wrong it’s unsanitary on the low side, or unsafe for swimmers/equipment on the high FC side.

Let's just say it's hypothetical and the numbers are accurate.
No. We won't "just say" the numbers are accurate because they aren't. The numbers you posted are so obviously inaccurate based on how they move around. If those numbers are accurate, you've built your water on a ancient burial ground and it's cursed.

If you want help, you're going to have to help us. We've already given you the best advice we can and you've already told us you're not interested in it. Why ask for more advice when you've already decided you aren't listening to the parts you don't want to hear?

I'm just trying to help you not continue to make increasingly more costly mistakes. I'm not the one who is out time and money if you chose not to listen. My pool is perfectly clear and balanced, if I'm not worth listening to then let me know right now. But regardless we're not playing this "well, tell me what to do anyway" game. We've already told you what you need to do.

Algae is no longer an issue as of yesterday
Except it clearly is. Your FC hasn't been at the right level for days, you had algae and didn't do a proper SLAM (you are unable to do as your kit can't test FC accurately).

You're getting some tough love for sure in this thread but everyone is right and the kit will pay for itself in a month compared to pool store chemicals. If you really can't afford a kit then a) return your "pH decreaser" and buy cheaper acid from Home Depot; b) stop buying anything other than muriatic acid and liquid chlorine - no more "salt pool magic" and c) just get the FAS/DPD chlorine test to at least get your chlorine right. You can get it on Amazon for about $20. But since you don't know your CYA accurately, Newdude is right that you will still be guessing what your target is.

Please don't shame me for using strips, I currently cannot afford the professional chemical kits.
I get it, nobody wants to shell out $100+ on a quality test kit, but it will pay for itself in the long run by only putting what your pool needs. Looking at your post above, just stopping using the "salt water magic" and other pool store magic potions, your quality test kit will pay for itself in a matter of months.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.