Total Beginner!

LynnThompson

Jul 11, 2019
East Tennessee
Hello! I’m so glad to have found this community! I’m looking forward to learning all I need to know to maintain our new pool.
I’ve just ordered the test kit. I’m supposed to take a water sample to the pool store today. I’m hesitant. My fancy test kit won’t arrive until Monday, but I’m sure I should put something in my freshly filled from tap pool water before then...
I’m going to check out the forums to find if there is already an answer. Also, thinking about getting the App. I need all the help I can get.
Thanks for being here!

Good morning Lynn and welcome! :wave: When did you fill the pool? Yes, some very basic items will need to be added. New water has no stabilizer (CYA) in it, so you want to use our PoolMath tool to add anough for a CYA goal of at least 30 ppm for now (see below). Maybe more later since it's getting hot. Add some liquid chlorine (aka regular bleach) for a day one goal of 3 ppm, then once the stabilizer is in the water, always balance according to the FC/CYA Levels to prevent cloudiness and algae. Make sure the bleach is regular. Never use Clorox brands and avoid any bleach that say splashless or scented. Finally, for now .... check/adjust pH to ensure it's in the mid-7s. Let the pool store run your first tests, but simpy say thank you and leave. Grab stabilizer from anywhere (i.e. Walmart, Lowe's, HD), and regular bleach from anywhere you wish. You can get the muriatic acid (to lower pH) from the pool store for now if you wish. The pH test is about the only thing I would use from the pool store for now.

Remember, never add bleach and muriatic acid at the same time. Also, store the muriatic acid outside in a plactic container away from pets, children, and anything metal. It will be fine in heat & cold. I use a Rubbermaid container, others might use a placstic trash can.

Once your test kit arrives, add it to your signature and post a full set of resuits. Let us know if you have more questions. :swim:

Adding CYA:
To increase CYA via granular stabilizer, place the required amount as calculated by the Poolmath calculator into a white sock and place in the poolside skimmer basket. For those concerned about suction flow to the pump, suspending the sock near a return jet or from a floating device will also suffice. Best never to allow undissolved granules to rest directly against the pool surface. Squeeze the sock periodically to help it dissipate. Once dissolved, consider your CYA adjusted to that programmed (target) level. CYA test readings should show a rise in 24-48 hours, however some pools may experience a longer delay to fully register. Best to confirm final CYA in about 5-7 days before adding any more stabilizer/conditioner.

Thank you, Texas Splash, for your informative and rapid response! The pool just finished filling last night, but it has been a 3 day process with filling to a point and then a day delay until the pump/filter could be setup. Just started the pump/filter running for the first time last night.
I will purchase the chemicals you listed today (thank you!), but I’m curious, why not Clorox brand bleach if it is “regular”? I haven’t come across that info on the site yet.
The pool installation people left me an $8 test kit that measures pH and chorine, should I use that for now?
I just subscribed to the app, to be clear - I can input my test numbers, and with my pool size it will calculate amounts of chemicals that I should add? I don’t want to mess anything up!
How much time between bleach and muriatic acid?
In the pool math calculator or app, I input CYA test at zero.
Then should I use the provided $8 test kit to get chlorine and ph beginning levels, or go to the pool store? Or should I assume that the chlorine is also zero and get the Ph from the provided test kit or definitely the pool store? Sorry if this seems ultra basic! Also, I premix the muriatic acid in water in plastic bucket before I add it to my vinyl lined pool and the liner will be okay, right?

Thanks Again!!!

why not Clorox brand bleach if it is “regular”?
Clorox started adding a fabric product/polymer that seems to not work well in residential pools.

The pool installation people left me an $8 test kit that measures pH and chorine, should I use that for now?
Yes - perfect!

I just subscribed to the app, to be clear - I can input my test numbers, and with my pool size it will calculate amounts of chemicals that I should add? I don’t want to mess anything up!
How much time between bleach and muriatic acid?
Yes, the APP is great. Take your time and make sure all of your pool info is correct so that the app gives you correct info back (dosages). With the pump on high and good water circulation, give the bleach and acid about 15 minutes seperation. If water flow or return jets are limited, a little brushing in the area can help.

New water will have no stablizer, so use the APP to figure out how much to add then consider it there. For the bleach, you probably have zero FC as well, so the APP can help you. Your basic test kit probably only tests FC up to 5 ppm, but that's fine for now. Get to about 3 ppm today, then around 4-5 after that. Once your kit arrives, always go back to the FC/CYA Levels. The pH (drop test) process is fairly straight-forward. Just make sure the pH doesn't get crazy high over 7.8. With your basic kit (for now), no need to go to the pool store. :)

Okay, I did the recommended amount of bleach and the stabilizer* and my pH went from 7.2ish at 11am to 6.8ish at 2:30 (using new basic kit that came with pool). I did buy the muriatic acid, but I didn’t add any.
*I have only added about 1/2 of the amount of stabilizer that was recommended bc that’s all that would fit in my sock before I had to leave the house. I was planning on adding the additional stabilizer when I returned. Should I even do the remainder of my stabilizer? Will that make a difference?

My chlorine (not sure which type I’m measuring with this kit, free or combined) went from 0 to 3.4. The weather today has gotten dark with clouds if that makes a difference.

Also, should I be posting this in another forum at this point? I certainly don’t want to be inappropriately posting!
Thank You!

Depending on when/where the pH water was tested compared to the stabilizer, the stabilizer (which is acidic) may have influenced the pH reading. Maybe test the pH again later when you get home away from the sock. Whatever the PoolMath tool showed for you to add, make sure to add that much stabilizer. Squeeze the sock often to help it get mushy and dissipate. You need that 30-40 ppm of CYA to protect your chlorine from the sun. The FC you are tesing with the OTO block viewer is total chlorine. Not the greatest, but gives you an indication of the presence of chlorine which is good. I would check that again later this evening as well.

So later, double-check the pH and FC one more time. Those are your most important to monitor at the moment.

Posting here is fine.. :)

Okay, I’ll add the remaining balance of stabilizer and double check chlorine and pH levels again later. However, the first batch of stabilizer had already dissolved out of the sock before I got the results of my second tests mentioned in my previous post. Is that unusual? I will say that the pump is pretty forceful and the pool looks pretty active. ? Or maybe I have magic water. ?

Good morning!
Today’s update:
pH is still low. My color gauge only goes down to 6.8 and I’d say it’s potentially lower than that if the comparison color as it gets lower becomes a more saturated orange down the scale (as the more saturated the red becomes for higher pH levels).
Chlorine I’m guessing is between a 1.5-3.0. When I very first reported my chlorine level at 3.4, I had accidentally read the BR column. Whoopsie! Learning!

What do you think? Should I buy soda ash or borax today and try and adjust the pH? I’d like my kids to be able to go into the pool without any negative effects.

Thank you!

Yes, I would add some borax to get the pH to at least 7.2. Use the PoolMath tool to help you confirm the amount.

For the chlorine (FC), just make sure to keep the FC at the correct level as noted on the FC/CYA Levels which helps to keep cloudiness and algae away.

Let us know if you have any questions. :swim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support