Total alkalinity test turns blue, not green

May 10, 2014
Falls Church, VA
Total alkalinity in my spa was quite low, so I added Alkalinity Up. Now when I test for alkalinity (using brand-new test solutions), the water in the tube turns light blue rather than green when I add the second solution. When I add the third solution drop by drop, eventually the water turns yellow rather than red.

Using the same new test kit on my pool, I get normal results, so I don't think it's a problem with the test solutions.

Any ideas what this means?

John T beat me to the punch. FYI - When I had that happen in the past, and was concerned about the TA color changes with high FC, I added an extra drop or two of the R-0007 to help neutralize the high FC and make my test more predictable (green to red/pink). Either way you should be fine as long as you observe and count the drops between color changes.

John T beat me to the punch. FYI - When I had that happen in the past, and was concerned about the TA color changes with high FC, I added an extra drop or two of the R-0007 to help neutralize the high FC and make my test more predictable (green to red/pink). Either way you should be fine as long as you observe and count the drops between color changes.

Thank you, gentlemen. What you say sounds logical, as the bromine level in my spa is very high right now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.