Total Alkalinity target

DerekP

Jun 18, 2019
Fletcher, NC
Using the TF100 test kit I get a TA of 90. My pH is 7.5. I am now manually chlorinating with 10% pool essentials chlorine and watching my CYA go down! Thx everyone.

My question- TFP pool math calculator says TA target should be 50-90. However the laminated card in the test kit says the target for TA in manually chlorinated pools should be 100-120 and for salt 60-90.

So what target should I use? I’ve got 50 lbs of baking soda ready to go. For the pool that is. I don’t bake that much. Haha
Derek

Derek,

As long as you pH is OK and your TA does not go below 50, then you are just fine...

TA is the one item that we try not to adjust unless there is a reason...

If this were my pool, I would leave TA right where it is..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: DerekP
I use a mesh safety cover upon closing, which allows precipitation to constantly enter the pool during the fall/winter months. All the rain and snow causes my TA to drop 20-30 ppm during the off season. Long story short you may use that baking soda in the future, even more so if your fill water also has low TA.

Last edited:
I use a mesh safety cover upon closing, which allows precipitation to constantly enter the pool during the fall/winter months. All the rain and snow causes my TA to drop 20-30 ppm during the off season. Long story short you may use that baking soda in the future, even more so if your fill water also has low TA.
Same here. I'll keep that in mind. Thank you

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.