Navarre/FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Reading Pool School, the recommended TA setting is between 60-80 ppm. Matter of fact the exact quote is:

"Adjust your Total Alkalinity to 60-80 ppm. (This is IMPORTANT!)"

I do have mine currently set at 60 ppm, and my pH has been rock steady at 7.6 for 13 days.

My question is why is the recommendation for TA in Pool School emphasized as "This is IMPORTANT!"? Why is it so important? What are the repercussions of having the TA lower than 60? I am not questioning the wisdom of the setting since placing mine at 60 ppm has held my pH steady as a rock. I am just trying to learn as much as possible about my SWG and the reasoning behind all the different recommended settings.

I do not recall why the extra phrase is there saying it is important. However, we often find that swg pools like the TA a little lower than 60 to help stabilize the pH.

Reading Pool School, the recommended TA setting is between 60-80 ppm. Matter of fact the exact quote is:

"Adjust your Total Alkalinity to 60-80 ppm. (This is IMPORTANT!)"

I do have mine currently set at 60 ppm, and my pH has been rock steady at 7.6 for 13 days.

My question is why is the recommendation for TA in Pool School emphasized as "This is IMPORTANT!"? Why is it so important? What are the repercussions of having the TA lower than 60? I am not questioning the wisdom of the setting since placing mine at 60 ppm has held my pH steady as a rock. I am just trying to learn as much as possible about my SWG and the reasoning behind all the different recommended settings.
My suspicion is that whoever wrote it has a lot of firsthand experience battling pH rise with a SWG due to high TA. Also, if you plan to add borates (it was quite a fad a few seasons back) it's harder to adjust TA after that, so maybe they were trying to get a jump on it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.