Torn Liner

c.alt

May 26, 2010
I wasn't sure where to put this so mods move if there is a better place.

The top corner of our vinyl liner had pulled loose a little during season like it was stretched and we never could get it popped back in place . Now it has a rip about 2 inches long near the same place. I may try to fix and get through next season at least since it is next to the top. Any suggestions on fixing?

Also recommendation on best value on a new liner. Should I go through someone who will install also or order myself and hire someone to replace?

Thanks in advance!

Only you can know if you have enough confidence in your DIY skills to tackle replacing a liner. Many people do replace them themselves, but you assume the liability if something goes wrong during the install, plus you will need an accurate measurement of length, width, slope, and depth for them to size the liner correctly. Also it is not a one man job and you may need the help of several people to get it into place. You may also need to rent some tools to aide in positioning the liner.

I hope this doesn't sound too negative, just wanted to make sure you are taking everything into account when you make your decision.

As for the tear, some people have had good success making a patch with leftover liner and gorilla glue. Google "liner patch" at the bottom of this page and it will pull up some posts dealing with that topic.

if you have left over vinyl (for example if you have walk-in steps there should be a large piece left over from when it was cut out). You can use that vinyl to patch. If you don't have that you can use a water bag or vinyl backwash hose. Since it's above the water level you have more choices in terms of glue. Boxer glue is easy to work with but it can weaken the vinyl which could be bad since it sounds like the vinyl is tearing and you don't want to weaken it and have it get larger. HH-66 Glue skins quickly and drys to the touch in about 15 minutes but if the vinyl is thin that you are working with it can start to bubble (this is the glue the liner company I use recommends for this type of repair)

Thanks for the tips.
We aren't considering installing liner ourselves. I just meant that I didn't know the cheapest route, find one online and order then hire someone or just find someone to order it and install.

Is there a better brand of liner or one we should definitely stay away from? What about mil? Any opinions on that?

I would go with someone I trusted. If you have a pool dealer/store that has a good reputation as far as equipment and services go, then I would ask for an estimate and references. If you find a great deal online you might see if the dealer would match the price.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.