Too much chlorine

Sunlover78

Jun 29, 2019
Charleston, SC
Went on vacay for a week, left pool covered with floating chlorinator. When I returned the chlorine and FC was 10. The chemistry was perfect before I left. I removed the floater, uncovered pool and am running pump several hours daily. It’s been 4 days and I’ve also been adjusting pH daily with no change in chlorine level. Decided to empty some water to help and it rained once but still no change in chlorine. How long should this take? Taylor 2006 kit arrives tmrw.

An FC of 10 is not really all that high.. And, If you have been using tablets, your CYA is probably high enough that it does not matter.. See this chart..

FC/CYA Levels

Assuming your CYA is 40, than it is safe to swim in an FC of up to 15..

Once you get your test kit you will be able to tell what your FC and CYA really are...

Most pools burn off 2 to 4 ppm of FC per day, unless they are covered.

Thanks,

Jim R.

An FC of 10 is not really all that high.. And, If you have been using tablets, your CYA is probably high enough that it does not matter.. See this chart..

FC/CYA Levels

Assuming your CYA is 40, than it is safe to swim in an FC of up to 15..

Once you get your test kit you will be able to tell what your FC and CYA really are...

Most pools burn off 2 to 4 ppm of FC per day, unless they are covered.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Big thanks for the quick reply. Trying to get ready for July 4th.

I think that whatever you were using to test the chlorine with was just wrong because there would have to be losses to the Sun. Sounds like you will have the real test results shortly :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.