Too many "earthworms" in pool after opening and heavy rain

Horanis

Nov 6, 2019
Sylvania, OH
Hello,
I have decided to open the pool early this year. Water was clear but, oh man, there was too many dead worms and debris on the ground. I vacuumed and SLAMed and everything was perfect until today. We had heavy rain yesterday and today morning, I noticed 50+ dead worms on the ground. I am not worms expert but they look like earthworms (photo attached). This is my 3rd year taking taking care of the pool and this is my first time encountering this.
There is no tree branches above the pool but there is garden bed 3ft away from the pool but this has been there for years.
Will this worms migration slow down during summer? If this continues, I will have to consider buying robotic vacuum.

Here is my test results as of today (last chlorine added was 2 days ago):
pH: 7.2.
FC: 11.
CYA: < 30 (will be adding some stabilizer later today)
TA: 40

Thank you for your help.

Attachments

• PXL_20210411_210759221.jpg
    PXL_20210411_210759221.jpg
    482.6 KB · Views: 30
Whenever it rains worms get into my pool. I just scoop them out. Nothing like your collection. Do you know any fishermen?

Hello,
I have decided to open the pool early this year. Water was clear but, oh man, there was too many dead worms and debris on the ground. I vacuumed and SLAMed and everything was perfect until today. We had heavy rain yesterday and today morning, I noticed 50+ dead worms on the ground. I am not worms expert but they look like earthworms (photo attached). This is my 3rd year taking taking care of the pool and this is my first time encountering this.
There is no tree branches above the pool but there is garden bed 3ft away from the pool but this has been there for years.
Will this worms migration slow down during summer? If this continues, I will have to consider buying robotic vacuum.

Here is my test results as of today (last chlorine added was 2 days ago):
pH: 7.2.
FC: 11.
CYA: < 30 (will be adding some stabilizer later today)
TA: 40

Thank you for your help.
Wow. Well, they are great for garden soil, so your garden must be in good shape!

I have a similar issue. As I wrote in my bio, I just bought an old house last September. It includes an in-ground pool that hadn't been open in several years, but had been rebuilt just prior to that (2017). I paid a pool company to open and clean the pool. They finished on Friday (5/29) and the water was lovely and clear. I had several trouble-free hours, and then we had heavy rains Friday night, all day Saturday and Sunday.

I noticed this morning a lot of debris in the pool. It looked like rotted leaves. I don't yet own any equipment, but I do have a little flat skimmer on a pole and so I scraped that along the bottom to see what the debris was and it is dead worms. Hundreds if not thousands of them! If any store is open today, I will go and find one of those debris catching bags to fit onto the pole and get them out as best I can. But I am following this thread with interest and if anybody has any tips about preventing this, I am all ears!

I have a similar issue. As I wrote in my bio, I just bought an old house last September. It includes an in-ground pool that hadn't been open in several years, but had been rebuilt just prior to that (2017). I paid a pool company to open and clean the pool. They finished on Friday (5/29) and the water was lovely and clear. I had several trouble-free hours, and then we had heavy rains Friday night, all day Saturday and Sunday.

I noticed this morning a lot of debris in the pool. It looked like rotted leaves. I don't yet own any equipment, but I do have a little flat skimmer on a pole and so I scraped that along the bottom to see what the debris was and it is dead worms. Hundreds if not thousands of them! If any store is open today, I will go and find one of those debris catching bags to fit onto the pole and get them out as best I can. But I am following this thread with interest and if anybody has any tips about preventing this, I am all ears!
I am still getting earthworms after heavy rain but it is now much less than before. I always vacuum after heavy rain.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.