Too high Chlorine

pooltime

Well-known member
Mar 18, 2008
80
Garden State
#1
Last Saturday I opened the pool and have been maintaining shock level or higher until all my algae was gone - used 48 gallons of 6% bleach. By Sunday the pool was clear, but there was some algae on the bottom which after brushing a few times per day for most of this week and maintaining the chlorine level has bascially been removed.

My chlorine level is holding at a fairly constant 20ppm currently. Is it ok to just let it lower itself down over the next week or however long or should I try to lower it somehow?

I have some of the tri-chlor pucks left from prior years, with a current CYA level of around 60-70 (haven't done a recent test after the water cleared up, probably will do a full test tonight) would it be best not to use these or am I ok using these in my old auto-chlorinator to use them up?

Thanks!
 

pooltime

Well-known member
Mar 18, 2008
80
Garden State
#4
OK, ran a full test last night:

FC: 0
CC: 0
TC: 20
pH: 7.8
TA: 100
CYA: 70

I think I am ok, though the pH should probably come down some. What movement (if any) should I see on that as the chlorine levels drop?

Thanks!
 

JasonLion

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 7, 2007
37,879
Silver Spring, MD
#5
There must be a typo, you can't have FC 0, CC 0, and TC 20. TC = FC + CC.

You should see FC come down by 2 to 4 each sunny day. It usually won't fall overnight, but sunlight will bring it down.