Too cold for just running the pump?

My pool was installed in December 2 years ago. That winter I left the equipment unhooked and the plumbing was dry. It froze so solid during the winter that a teenager walked across it. I kept it running last winter and didn’t have a problem. It only got a little frozen in the corners during very cold weather.

*BTW my high school team played in Gallatin twice this week. The traffic on I65/ Vietnam Veterans was terrible on a school bus in rush hour 😅

Reactions: Randrx2
pool is really starting to freeze around the corner now.
View attachment 466251
How fast is your pump running? I increased my from 1400 to 1800 rpm. Also, I positioned my returns to cause the surface to move so there are always "ripples". Looks colder where you are. We only got down to 5F last night. Expecting 21F today with sun!

Reactions: Apsuhead
I did manually increase the rpm’s during the day but my pump schedule resets and lowers them at midnight. My pump schedule runs at a low rpm 24/7 except for one hour in the morning and one hour in the evening at a higher rpm.

Reactions: Newdude
I did manually increase the rpm’s during the day but my pump schedule resets and lowers them at midnight. My pump schedule runs at a low rpm 24/7 except for one hour in the morning and one hour in the evening at a higher rpm.
You may need to change your program until the weather breaks.

More snow this morning and a winter weather advisory til noon. The pump is still keeping the water flowing. I did clear off some of the slush in front of the skimmer. I scoop it up with a net and throw it on top of the frozen area of the pool so it doesn’t float back to the skimmer. Finally above freezing this afternoon and then over 70 next week LOL. My pump sounded a little squeaky the first time I went out to cover everything, but as soon as I wrapped it with a blanket it instantly got quiet. It’s been quiet every since, it was just cold I guess 🥶
B86F9E65-6A56-4CB3-95CF-D51467860199.jpeg

Reactions: HeyEng and Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just got out of the cold snap here, and like you temps are rising.. at about 40 outside right now.. tomorrow to be in the 50's and continued rising from there.. Just took the tarp off the equipment to let it get some needed sunshine.. had a thin layer of ice on the water this morning.. But, pump/freeze protection ran like a champ since last week.. now I am waiting for the pressure to go do a bit on the filter..

Reactions: Apsuhead
It’s sunny and almost 60 degrees today so all the snow is melting. The big icebergs in my pool broke free and are melting quickly. Pool water is up to 35 degrees after holding at 32 degrees for about 5 days. I can’t imagine it ever being colder here than it was last week. The big concern is losing power and the TVA blackouts. I’m lucky I never lost power like many others 😅
8526CCBF-2113-4CCE-B4E5-524AFB74BFD9.jpeg

Reactions: Texas Splash
All the snow/ice on my cover melted so I was going to put the cover pump on there, I lowered it carefully then THUD! The water below is still a solid mass! I quickly rethought my plan & went back in the house 🤣

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.