Tommorrow is a sad day..pool is getting closed.

m a hanson

Apr 25, 2021
Central New York
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Started to skim leaves out every day, and now that it's never above 65 at night here in the Northeast, it's a wee bit chilly now. Anyone else have pointed oval leaves falling sooner than the other trees? I think the tree is ill, as I can see the top of the canopy is about bare.( Not my trees, vacant wooded lot next to me)

I do not close the pool till the water is below 60 degrees, closer to 50 degrees.. and then I open the pool at 50 degrees.. I have never had a green pool doing this.. How are you keeping your pool clear?

I'm northeast of the Northeast, in Canada. Leaves are still on the trees (lots of trees near the pool as you can see in my profile picture) and we were swimming last night, and are expecting 80-degree F weather on Thursday.
I would suggest that it's time to cut down that tree!
This time of year we keep the solar bubble cover on when we are not using the pool, and especially overnight, both to keep in the heat and to keep leaves out. Swimming starts to get expensive as we use the propane heater more, but we usually find it's worth heating it in September, at least on nice days and weekends, but not so much in October,. As with @cowboycasey, we don't close until the water is below 60 F, and never before Canadian Thanksgiving (2nd Monday in October), although swimming days in October are generally few and far between. We open the pool and balance the water as soon as the ice melts in the pool, generally around April 15, although we usually don't heat and swim before Victoria Day (the last Monday preceding May 25) weekend. Closing late and opening early both avoids a green pool and gives us time to balance the water in the spring and resolve any equipment issues before the pool stores get busy. If the temperature is forecast to dip below freezing we keep the pump running. We take the pump inside the house when we close.
Our CYA always reduces over winter, so we will soon be reducing daily maintenance by using less liquid chlorine and loading up the puck feeder to finish out the season. We also use it in the spring to replenish our CYA, and leave it empty in the summer.

Reactions: cowboycasey
I do not close the pool till the water is below 60 degrees, closer to 50 degrees.. and then I open the pool at 50 degrees.. I have never had a green pool doing this.. How are you keeping your pool clear?
I'm northeast of the Northeast, in Canada. Leaves are still on the trees (lots of trees near the pool as you can see in my profile picture) and we were swimming last night, and are expecting 80-degree F weather on Thursday.
I would suggest that it's time to cut down that tree!
This time of year we keep the solar bubble cover on when we are not using the pool, and especially overnight, both to keep in the heat and to keep leaves out. Swimming starts to get expensive as we use the propane heater more, but we usually find it's worth heating it in September, at least on nice days and weekends, but not so much in October,. As with @cowboycasey, we don't close until the water is below 60 F, and never before Canadian Thanksgiving (2nd Monday in October), although swimming days in October are generally few and far between. We open the pool and balance the water as soon as the ice melts in the pool, generally around April 15, although we usually don't heat and swim before Victoria Day (the last Monday preceding May 25) weekend. Closing late and opening early both avoids a green pool and gives us time to balance the water in the spring and resolve any equipment issues before the pool stores get busy. If the temperature is forecast to dip below freezing we keep the pump running. We take the pump inside the house when we close.
Our CYA always reduces over winter, so we will soon be reducing daily maintenance by using less liquid chlorine and loading up the puck feeder to finish out the season. We also use it in the spring to replenish our CYA, and leave it empty in the summer.
Unfortunately, the tree is not on my property, but located in a wooded area close to my house and pool. Because the tree is about 70' tall and is the the tallest one, all the leaves blow over to my yard when the winds are coming from the southeast. (This Saturday I was able to watch the leaves get blown over into the pool and found the source.) I would love to keep it open longer, but unless I install a very tall net system, I am concerned about being able to keep up with it. I am considering a solar cover for next year, this is my first full season with the pool. I am learning as I go and have a list of things to get for next season. One other thing that will help keep the pool warm longer I have a line of arborvitae trees that block the east/west traverse of the sun around this time of year, a previous homeowner planted them parallel to the pool, I suppose for privacy and have never been trimmed and are now around 30' high. They definintely cast shadows a bit past 3pm during the summer, so only a 1/4 of the pool is in full sun after 3pm, then the house blocks it past 5pm . I calculated thats about 18 hours of heat loss. ( From 3pm-9am the following day, my pool is oriented in a east/west parallel, so ideally I should have better exposure when those arborbvitaes are trimmed or gone completely)

Reactions: cowboycasey
We love trees and have plenty of them, but they are a definite pain in the Rear ALL YEAR ROUND when it comes to keeping the pool clean. Right now, many of the crepe myrtles are losing the very small (and annoying) flowers and the slightest breeze blows them all over heck's half acre. But, I ain't giving up my trees....so I get plenty of exercise keeping the pool pristine.

We love trees and have plenty of them, but they are a definite pain in the Rear ALL YEAR ROUND when it comes to keeping the pool clean. Right now, many of the crepe myrtles are losing the very small (and annoying) flowers and the slightest breeze blows them all over heck's half acre. But, I ain't giving up my trees....so I get plenty of exercise keeping the pool pristine.
Right now my time is full trying to get my new to me home buttoned up for another winter. I have so many projects to squeeze into a weekend, that the pool is getting the bare minimum . It's only temporary, hopefully next season I'll be in a better place projectwise that I can dedicate my attention to the pool. I actually enjoy skimming the pool, I find it theraputic and satisfying removing everything from the water. I just need to put the pool on the back burner and I feel closing it a bit early will give me less anxiety ( Having leaves kill my new pump because a windstorm came thru while I'm at work is a big concern).

Unfortunately, the tree is not on my property, but located in a wooded area close to my house and pool. Because the tree is about 70' tall and is the the tallest one, all the leaves blow over to my yard when the winds are coming from the southeast. (This Saturday I was able to watch the leaves get blown over into the pool and found the source.) I would love to keep it open longer, but unless I install a very tall net system, I am concerned about being able to keep up with it. I am considering a solar cover for next year, this is my first full season with the pool. I am learning as I go and have a list of things to get for next season. One other thing that will help keep the pool warm longer I have a line of arborvitae trees that block the east/west traverse of the sun around this time of year, a previous homeowner planted them parallel to the pool, I suppose for privacy and have never been trimmed and are now around 30' high. They definintely cast shadows a bit past 3pm during the summer, so only a 1/4 of the pool is in full sun after 3pm, then the house blocks it past 5pm . I calculated thats about 18 hours of heat loss. ( From 3pm-9am the following day, my pool is oriented in a east/west parallel, so ideally I should have better exposure when those arborbvitaes are trimmed or gone completely)
I have trees parallel to the pool, too, but I find that shadows after 3 pm, and leaves are much bigger issues than heat loss.
The solar cover is great for keeping leaves out when we're not using the pool. I hardly had any leaves at all from the remnants of Hurricane Ida last weekend as they mostly stayed on the cover, and I flicked them off as I was rolling it onto the reel after the storm.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.