Toe kick??

Apr 4, 2007
Livermore, CA
Hey all,

I've just finished designing and ordering the frames for our BBQ island (went with big ridge - very helpful folks), and a question occurred to me while planning the finish. The front and sides of our island will be covered in a marble subway tile ( Stonegate Subway - Elida Ceramica ) with dark bronze anodized corner trim that will complement the grout.

When looking for the corner trim I got to thinking about the toe-kick/floor area - a lot of the DIY and kit type islands I see don't seem to have a traditional toe kick, and just run the finish down to the floor (or close to it).

I'm considering using some sort of bottom trim even though there isn't a set-back toe kick on the cabinets, but I haven't decided what and can't find many pictures outside of Pre-fab cabinets. What have y'all done at ground level?? I'm looking for ideas...

Thanks!

I'm surprised no one commented on this so I'll give it a bump!

My stucco on my ODK goes straight into the pavers below. It looks just fine and I have no complaints but I certainly think that there's lots of ways to do a lower trim that would look really nice. Can you post some pictures of where you are at and what you're thinking of in terms of trim? I do like the marble tile you have chosen. My neighbor is starting to contemplate what he wants for his ODK and I know he and his wife have had to take a break because the choices the were endless.

You can even make the toe kick space a drawer. We have a couple in our kitchen and it's a great place to store platters or any oversized item like that. You still have a toe space, but the back of the toe space is the front of the drawer.

I'm surprised no one commented on this so I'll give it a bump!

My stucco on my ODK goes straight into the pavers below. It looks just fine and I have no complaints but I certainly think that there's lots of ways to do a lower trim that would look really nice. Can you post some pictures of where you are at and what you're thinking of in terms of trim? I do like the marble tile you have chosen. My neighbor is starting to contemplate what he wants for his ODK and I know he and his wife have had to take a break because the choices the were endless.

I'll start a build thread in the next few days, but right now I've ordered the island frame from Big Ridge Outdoor Kitchens and they are welding it right now. What we have picked out so far is here:
tiles.jpg

Marble tile for front/sides, and the subway tile fro the backsplash. The countertops will be somewhere between the two brown color swatches, and we're currently undecided on the grout - coffee or sterling - for the marble. Grout for the backsplash will be the dark walnut color. I'll be making some sample boards over the next few days for us to try out the grout options with the sample countertop I've already finished.

For the trim we're also undecided. Our initial thoughts were a dark bronze finished aluminum trim something like this:
bronze-trim.jpg

But given the huge amount of stainless steel on the island (sink vault, grill, doors, drawers, etc) I'm thinking maybe stainless trim would be better. I'll probably have to try both on the sample boards with a scrap of 304 to represent the doors etc....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.