To winterize or not in central NC?

Jason.H.

Aug 19, 2020
North Carolina
Hello everyone, first year as a pool owner. Wondering if I should drain down and close my pool or leave it open. I don't mind keeping it clean and adding chlorine all winter. I'm in central NC (greensboro) and it can get below freezing on occasion but historically not all that often, don't mind running pump on cold nights. What's your thoughts? Water temp is currently 64 so not cool enough to close yet anyways.

I'd recommend if freeze is a once in a blue moon thing I'd just keep an eye on the pool when the temps get there and keep the pump running at that point for the duration of the cold snap otherwise just add the minimal FC all winter long and run the pump daily for an hour or two to keep the water well mixed.

I'm in central NC. I close my pool because for about a 6 month period, I don't want to think about the pool. I don't want to feel the need to check the equipment every few days to see if anything is leaking. I open to clear water every year so there is no worrying about chlorine levels and algae. Since all my pool equipment is over foot above the water level, I don't do a lot of freeze protection. I just drain all the equipment and leave the unions on the pipes open. I don't install any plugs, blow out any lines or use any antifreeze.

Central Texas here, we do not close our pool. We put a cover on it, after we clean and bring the water to shock level, and just check the water once a week. Usually we can go several weeks without doing anything but a good brushing. When it comes to freezing temperatures we just run our pump until the temp comes back above freezing. We might have to do that once or twice over the "winter" we have.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.